What's new

Monte #2, your thoughts?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the opportunity to purchase a box at a very reasonable price due to the current strength of the USD.

The problem is I have NEVER smoked a good Montie #2.

My first box was prestigious JM OVSU

All were lackluster (bad box? bad blend at Jose Marti that day? fakes?) or maybe I Just don't have a taste for Montecristo?

Next box was around 2000-2002 and as well know those years for CC were pretty much horrible.

I've always wanted to like this cigar and over the years have dabbled in a few singles while traveling and hitting cigar shops. I always ended up buying boxes of other brands and never the Montie #2.

Looking at this site under CC cigars I hardly ever see a Montecristo, any Montecristo on the smoke of the day photo thread.

Your thoughts and opinions on the Montie #2 as of late?

Last edited:

CAJoe

King Dude
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I have always enjoyed Monte #2. When you get a good batch it is hard to beat them. I like the Cuban Monte's much more than the Cohibas.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inconsistent. When they're on, they are truly on. But I have smoked at least as many that weren't. It's a crap shoot, but with prices where they are, a box at a "very reasonable price" sounds worth the chance to me.
This is why my #1 way to buy cigars is to hit the shop live in person, find smokes I like and see if they have more of the same box code that matches the box that they are currently selling singles from. If yes, I'll buy a single and smoke it that day. If it is good roll, has the structure to age, nice looking wrapper, and some decent flavor I'll buy at the box level. "Try and buy", you can't beat it.

Of course it's not always possible to do this. And also the overall inconsistency (within the same box even, forget about same box code), is enough to drive one crazy.

I purchased 2 qty 3x5 Montie #2s a few months ago, have yet to smoke one.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Inconsistent. When they're on, they are truly on. But I have smoked at least as many that weren't. It's a crap shoot, but with prices where they are, a box at a "very reasonable price" sounds worth the chance to me.

.....this. They can be fantastic when on but meh otherwise. I personally prefer the Especial and the Especiales No.2.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
This is why my #1 way to buy cigars is to hit the shop live in person, find smokes I like and see if they have more of the same box code that matches the box that they are currently selling singles from. If yes, I'll buy a single and smoke it that day. If it is good roll, has the structure to age, nice looking wrapper, and some decent flavor I'll buy at the box level. "Try and buy", you can't beat it.
Excellent plan, wish I was able to do that. (y)
.....this. They can be fantastic when on but meh otherwise. I personally prefer the Especial and the Especiales No.2.
Or the Edmundos and Double Edmundos for my palate.