What's new

Monte "C" EL 2003

geoffrie

Pappa Smurf
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Montecristo "C" Edicion Limitada 2003

This isn't as much a review as it is a comment (Mods: feel free to re-file this).

Bought a box when they first came out. Kinda pricey ... even for an EL. Smoked a couple - liked them - good, not great, but good.

I remember reading a lot of bad -to- luke warm reviews on this cigar when it first came out. I definately felt like I was in the minority because I did like them a bit. Stashed the box away... thinking that they would age into something even better.

So I lit one up yesterday. I think this is starting to show its promise.

The first quarter of the cigar was good. Mild tobacco and subtle hints of coffee and spicy wood. Good but nothing to write home about.

The second quarter of the cigar was really quite good!... and the reason for the post No subtle hints - outright robust flavors - coffee, cocoa, and some spicy twang. Basically 10-15 minutes of me muttering to myself "boy this is really really good!"

Rest of the cigar was ok. Robust flavors became muddled. Good tobacco coffee flavor still detected. Enjoyable to the nub ... but paled to that second quarter.

So I wondering/hoping that the second quarter of the cigar is a glimpse of things to come? IF the whole cigar ages into what the second quarter was - I will be one happy camper! Will try one again in a couple of months.

Just my $0.02

GuyMcBeerdrinker

poonsmith
Rating - 90%
20   2   1
patience truly does pay off. this cigar is one of the el's that I have bought a box of, and will continue to do so.

partagas piramide el
romeo y julieta robusto el
montecristo robusto el
montecristo "c" el
hoyo de monterrey piramide el

last monte "c" I smoked was extremely leathery. did you catch any hints of it?

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I haven't had any of these in a long time either, maybe its time? but I loved the flavor profile of this cigar, reminded me a bit like the monte robusto el's, thanks for the review.

geoffrie

Pappa Smurf
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
GuyMcBeerdrinker said:
last monte "c" I smoked was extremely leathery. did you catch any hints of it?
Leathery, yes. Not pronounced but as a undetone. Thanks for the nudge.

Leathery would also describe the taste as the flavors turned from robust to muddled. And btw, muddled is a very poor choice of words. Not distinct, not pronounced, not robust.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
NIce review. I smoked one of these at the lcdh in CZM and enjoyed it. SHould have looked at the boxcode but didn't. I will look in March when I go back if they still have the box. Again nice review
mikes

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
I bought a box of these when they went on "sale" and haven't touched them. I plan on letting them sit for awhile before having any. Thanks for the review!!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like many cigars initially it was rather blah but now it is smoking beautifully. This has been one of the more underrated cigars, maybe the price kept some away. Either way I do love this cigar, one of my favorites. It has a rather rustic, woody taste throughout. Some of the cigars, in the initial fourth, have a cedar flavor to them. Excellent cigar.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Thanks for the review. These have gottn mixed reviews, but I think I'm going to have to pick up a few.