c.ortiz108

The fly in the ointment.
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Montecristo Classic robusto
Wrapper: Connecticut shade
Price: $10

1st 3rd:
Wrapper oily and silky to the touch. Perfect draw, but tastes like a lumberyard for the first few puffs. Big time sawdust.

Quickly settles into something more oaky. Grass and hay. Decent amount of smoke, light body. Light and airy, not because of the draw but because it kind of tastes like air. So far this baby is milder than a Macanudo, and not in a good way.

Dry chocolate, like eating pudding mix without any sugar in it. Some creaminess creeping in.

Very woody. That sawdust has reintegrated into a smoldering 2-by-4. Burn a little uneven, but nothing tragic.

2nd 3rd:
Skunk. Body so light I have to check to see if there’s a hole in it somewhere. There's not. Some spice – nutmeg, maybe.

Gives off a nicer smell than it tastes. Burn getting wavier, but I don’t care much because I already know I won’t be nubbing this one.

A mineraly, slightly chemical flavor. I’ll persist a while longer, but this is getting to be a bit of a chore.

3rd 3rd didn't happen.
To paraphrase Lloyd Bentsen, "Senator, I have known Montecristos. Montecristos are a friend of mine. Senator, you're no Montecristo."

This would be a good cigar for sitting around with your buddies on a rented yacht in the Caymans after eating a Big Mac, drinking some lousy blended Scotch, and pretending that you’re in a vintage episode of "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous." Or if you want to impress a bunch of non-smokers who have heard of the brand name. I can’t believe anyone would actually pay $10 for one of these (I got it in one of those 10 sticks and humidor noob samplers). In short, a bullshit cigar in concept, flavor, and execution.

I actually wanted to like this cigar, even if only to be contrary to the many who say it sucks. For overpriced, big name mild cigars, I’d rather have a Gurkha Symphony any day, or a humble Macanudo.