What's new

Montecristo Especiales No. 1 1995

havanaphile

Banned
Rating - 75%
4   1   0
This Laguito No. 1 that I had today was simply excelent! I got this box from a source in the Confederation of Havalia (sorry US Treasury guys--if you don't know what that means, you're incompetant), and I am simply overjoyed.

This cigar was the epitomie of what an aged cigar should be. I was able to clip the head cleanly off, and the pre-light draw had a cool, crisp flavor, simmilar to the scent of a cool autumn morning. The draw was perfect, exactly like the draw of the Greycliff Elegantes. Lighting the cigar was simple. No touch up needed, just 1-2-3 go! I never had trouble with the burn--it was almost always even, and when it wasn't, it quickly corrected itself. The smoke that it produced was thick and creamy, and it produced alot of that wonderful smoke--far more than anything one would get from any non-Cuban cigar. To start, the flavors had a mellow, agreeable floral tones mixed in with strong scents of cedar. No doubt exists in my mind that six continious years of exposure to the cedar box that it came in imparted this into the cigar. It then changed into tones of freshly ground coffee and nuts. One third of the way in, it changed from a medium-bodied smoke to a medium- to full-bodied smoke. The tones of dark Belgian chocolate took over at the one-third mark, with undertones of cedar, and the floral component whose influence waxed and wained. As the case with any well-blended and competantly constructed Laguito No. 1, the flavors became more intense with every draw. At the two-thirds mark, sweet flavors of orange peel and a hint of lemon blended in with the chocolate and cedar, and the smoke became a truely full-bodied blockbuster! Nevertheless, the wonderful floral component remained in the smoke. I smoked it down to the last 5/8" of an inch, and it was delicious. It was like smoking three different cigars! One could say that it shows that all things get better with age.

Overall, a resounding 96+!

The only question is, if they taste this good now, I wonder how good they will taste in nine and 1/2 more years! This is definately going to be a box that I will have to lay down for a good while.