What's new

Montecristo No. 3 from March 2012

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Greetings. I had a Montecristo No. 3 Corona today. It has been a long time since I have had one and I will be coming back for more. To start it was a perfect construction, color and texture. The draw was perfect and the burn was very even down to the half inch nub that I savored with the typical Monte dark ash and billows of smoke. The opening was a lot like the rest of the cigar. It had light pepper and spice with dark coffee and cacao and wood with a touch of almond. The body was spot on Medium Full and if it was missing anything it may be a touch of sweetness which I did not mind at all. This was a classic Monte flavor and with more age it may develop some sweeter character. It was pretty much the same until after the half way point where it became more espresso mocha like with a slight woody char to it. Again very Monte. The second half smoked to the nub very cool with all the same flavors with just a minor increase in body and all the Monte-ness that I very much enjoy in Montecristo. This may be a lot of why they are so popular and stand by. I got about an hour and a half out of it and I hated to see it go.I have always favored Montecristo over all other Habanos because of the flavor profile. I have smoked more refined elegant and diverse brands, but none as alluring as what Montecristo brings to the table. I under stand why Pete at Tatuaje has worked so hard on trying to emulate this flavor profile and has done a great job at it,but There can only be one and Montecristo is that one. Sorry Bolivar,Partagas,Cohiba,Vegas Robaina and Ramone Allones I love you all ,but you just don't have the something that Montecristo does. I think it's that little bit of dirtiness that we fall in love with that is in the mix that you just can't pit your finger on. What is so great is that this box will only get better and better with time. I would pair this with a White Russian, Tia Maria, Whiskey of choice or chocolate coconut water. It seems like I could write a book on why Montecristo is the classic it is. If you like the darker side of Habanos please come over into the light of Montecristo. Whether you like it or not it's still the finest cigar brand in the World, period.

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Great experience ...similar sentiment about a number 2 I had a few months ago. Monte has always been my favorite (started with Dominicans) but I'd forgotten how good they were and I have one more left from that box. Every time i got to smoke I look at it and go ....naw not yet. Lol

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Nice review

I haven't smoked a Monte No.3 in quite a while and was wondering how the recent ones are. Sounds like I need to re-visit them. Surprised to hear that you were able to get an hour and a half out of that cigar. Maybe it's because I smoke rather quickly, but a corona sized cigar usually lasts me on average around 45-55 min.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
cool, and thanks for the cigar review/ brand overview, man!

i have had some mediocre monte's, but most were very good, and a few were AMAZING. there is a timeless quality to this marca, i agree, and i am glad you have found a favorite. o)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, I've been looking everywhere for a no.3 review. Thanks. I like the size, and was wondering if it had the same characteristics of the no.2. Now to go pick up a few...