What's new

Montecristo Petit Edmundo (sorry for the rant)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the other night I lit up a MC PE. Bought it in Paris earlier this year. When buying singles, it's often impossible to tell the production year because the vendors don't replace the box when it sells out, just fill it in with cigars from a different one. Accordingly, I had no idea what year it was rolled, but I figured that even if it was fresh, with the improving quality of habanos lately, it wouldn't be too big a deal if I smoked it ROTT.

A few puffs into the cigar I realized that my optimism has been too .. optimistic. I get that pine-resin flavor I've learnt to associate with a too young cigar. Well, unlike the previous pine-resinous cigars, this one was really smooth all the way through. Never harsh, at times even the "true" aroma, of dark chocolate and roasted beans tried to break through, and the draw was perfect. The resinous taste aside, the smoke was really pleasant and creamy.

So on one hand I'm quite impressed with the quality of this cigar. Even when too fresh it is still smooth and elegant, just like an seasoned dancer that will still give a decent pefrormance despite his a busted knee. On the other hand, I'm getting fed up with this cigar aging bullshit. It's not the first time that I've paid good money for a cigar that in the end didn't deliver what it should have. Either HSA should make sure their products reach the shelves in smokable condition, or if age is such a big deal, label individual sticks.

I mean, come on.

Last edited:

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
I picked up a box of Monte PE about 8 months ago and you could taste the youth in them as well. I'm letting what I have left age.

I doubt that HSA will ever age all their cigars to reach smokable condition before releasing them. From what I understand is that after they are boxed and stamped they go out. No need to age them when they are selling as quick as they can release them. So they don't feel the need to let them age and take up their space.

I also don't understand why a vendor(s) would want to remove cigars from one box and place them into another box. Instead of just putting out the box of new cigars? That way the customers can know when they were produced? I put that fault on the vendor(s)

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
I also don't understand why a vendor(s) would want to remove cigars from one box and place them into another box. Instead of just putting out the box of new cigars? That way the customers can know when they were produced? I put that fault on the vendor(s)
I've not known vendors to do this was this opinion from the op or did he ask? Vendors sell to the last stick crack the next box and put it up as far as I know

Rating - 100%
179   0   0
I picked up a box of Monte PE about 8 months ago and you could taste the youth in them as well. I'm letting what I have left age.

I doubt that HSA will ever age all their cigars to reach smokable condition before releasing them. From what I understand is that after they are boxed and stamped they go out. No need to age them when they are selling as quick as they can release them. So they don't feel the need to let them age and take up their space.

Well said!! Agreed on all parts. Especially with the HSA. More to say....

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not known vendors to do this was this opinion from the op or did he ask? Vendors sell to the last stick crack the next box and put it up as far as I know
I've asked. Sometimes it's the box they came in, lots of times they tell me that they use the same box over and over again.

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
I've asked. Sometimes it's the box they came in, lots of times they tell me that they use the same box over and over again.
Well you should've politely said Excusez-moi mais c'est une pratique terrible lol

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you should've politely said Excusez-moi mais c'est une pratique terrible lol

To tell you the truth, mixing up boxes was the least of that particular B&M's problem.

Anyway, now that my anger's vented off somewhat, I realize I should have directed it more towards the vendors who fail to provide the correct production date.

Then again, seeing how HSA seems to be so big on sticking two bands on one cigar, maybe they could band up the regular production sticks with the production year.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, since we're on the aging subject, I also bought the following cigars in the same or similar B&Ms:

- cohiba siglo I & II, and secretos
- HdM PR
- RASC
- Cuaba Tradicionales
- H Upmann Epicure & Half Corona
- ERDM Demi Tasse

Any suggestions on how long I should let each rest?

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Regarding refilling old boxes for singles, they do that at the LCdH in Cancun....I was told by the manager to ignore the box codes when selecting singles. The price per stick was marked on the boxes, and that way they didn't have to reprice each time a box was emptied.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Adding a second band to each and every cigar with the box date would be exponentially and prohibitively more expensive. Not only would you have to print and use twice as many bands, you'd have to order them every month in large enough quantity that you didn't run out, which means ordering more than needed, which means more expense.

Plus then you'd have to try and thwart the band swappers. And counterfeiters...

Logistically, it would be a nightmare, to solve the problems of a relative few.

Don't get me wrong, I would love it if ALL manufacturers did that... but it's just not cost effective.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. I got the same experience from a (presumably) 2012 siglo II. Smoked it all the way down to the last third hoping it would improve, but didn't. Great construction, though.

KGD

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I've smoked petit edmundos from two fresh boxes, about a year old or so - and both were stellar - once was from a box of 10 i got. i plan on reordering soon and smoking them fresh, by far the best cigar I've smoked...

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
I am with the OP on this one in the way of asking how long to age a CC? I am way new and this would be great info to have when I start getting CCs
It's all over the map, there is no magic number. Many cigars have been wonderful ROTT (examples recently are Trini Reyes, Upmann Connie #1s, Upmann Half Coronas, etc), while other obviously need some amount of time. You just need to experiment, or listen to BOTLs with similar palates to yours.

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
I am with the OP on this one in the way of asking how long to age a CC? I am way new and this would be great info to have when I start getting CCs
Bare minimum is one year.Most marcas show marked improvement in 3 years,and some need 5 years to begin to shine...After 10 years you can taste nuances and textures that define the cuban experience very well.After 20 years the maturation is still changing,the lighter marcas may start to lose intensity,and so it goes..........

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I say test constantly. If they are good ROTT then smoke away. If not, leave them be...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2 because, you know, I love Tapatalk 2.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
[QUOTE Bare minimum is one year.Most marcas show marked improvement in 3 years,and some need 5 years to begin to shine...After 10 years you can taste nuances and textures that define the cuban experience very well.After 20 years the maturation is still changing,the lighter marcas may start to lose intensity,and so it goes..........[/QUOTE]

I tend to agree with the above, but on a very general basis. CC's generally require some sleepy time, depending on the marca, in order to smoke to their best capacity. But that capacity may be lost on me, and not on you. I can't tell the difference between a 3 year old Churchill and a 5 year Churchill from the same marca.

There is nothing wrong with smoking many CC's ROTT, and Habanos knows that not every buyer is going to age sticks. They put out a product that is quite good in its youth; are they as good as they can be at that point? No, but neither is wine. Both products rise in complexity with age. It does not keep me from drinking a 1-year old bottle of Opus.

The HSA business model takes into account that vendors will sell lots of singles and 5'ers. But that is not their main target market. They are in business to sell boxes, and they are not short of buyers, worldwide, who are willing to buy those boxes to age a bit if you don't. And if smoke-it-now demand fell a bit, it might even be a bit of a welcome respite for HSA, as they could pre-age their sticks and charge a higher premium.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, since we're on the aging subject, I also bought the following cigars in the same or similar B&Ms:

- cohiba siglo I & II, and secretos
- HdM PR
- RASC
- Cuaba Tradicionales
- H Upmann Epicure & Half Corona
- ERDM Demi Tasse

Any suggestions on how long I should let each rest?
You should be good with the smaller RG ones, definitely the RASC. In general, if you don't know the box date, I would stick to smaller RG's, as they rest quicker than others you are more likely to get a good one.