What's new

Montecristo Vintage '93 Club Cabinet No. 30 (Robusto)

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Montecristo Vintage '93 Club Cabinet No. 30 Robusto
Orgin: DR
Size: 5" x 50 ring
Price: $4.80(box price from JRs divided by 25)
Total smoke time: approx 1-1.25 hours

OK folks. Keep in mind please, that this is a review of one cigar. Just because this one was this way doesn't mean that they all are, and I would be very interested to hear from others who have smoked anything from this line.

I received this from a Robusto sampler from JRs on my very first purchase of cigars online. I pulled it out of the humi earlier this week and tossed it into the cigar caddy and decided to smoke it today as I needed the room for some other sticks that I am taking with me to a herf tonight.

Construction: I don't really know what to say here. Jumping ahead to the smoke, I knocked the ash off after about 2 inches just so it wouldn't drop on me, so that would lead me to believe that the construction was decent. But before lighting it had an odd combination of medium to soft and squishy on the pinch test. Medium towards the front and somewhat squishy towards the head. Very little crinkle even though all the other sticks in the same area are more crinkly. The overall color of the wrapper was a medium carmel brown with darker streaks but with two very prominent GREEN splotches. Looking at the foot it looked like some of the filler might have a slight green tinge to it as well, but then I clipped the head with my xikar and there was DEFINATELY green filler tobacco. No idea what this means, but I would appreciate some input if you have any idea.

Prelight draw was loose with some peppery notes.

The foot took to the flame easily and I took my first couple of puffs. Holy crap! I thought I had just popped a jalepeno in my mouth it tingled so much! This lasted for at least the first Inch and a half. Definite hot pepper feeling in the mouth, but strangley not much taste other than tobacco. Plenty of smoke poured from the head on every puff, no pluggs or difficulties with draw here. In fact, I think I would have preferred a little more resistance to the draw.

After the first couple of inches the spice dropped off quickly leaving me with a very grassy taste (the only thing I can think of that describes the taste). One that was VERY mild. This remained through the next couple of inches after which I had to set the cigar down (started a little late into the lunch hour). I must say that I didn't mind setting this one down. There was very little taste and what there was really wasn't all that pleasing.