What's new

Moonshine fruit question

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Ive enjoyed moonshine for a while but recently I was able to get a few jars of the good stuff straight up plain and I have a question about flavoring it.

I through some apples and cinnamon sticks in a jar to see what it did for flavor; I didn't put any sugar or simple syrup cause I'm not huge fan of overly sweet drinks.

How long does fruit "keep" in it; I know its in alcohol and it should keep, but how long is too long.

I have a batch that was made about 3 years ago with some cherries from a buddy and they aren't looking very much like cherries... is it safe to drink?

Any input from the brothers that make it would be much appreciated

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I have ate some pretty old fruit in shine and I'm assuming because of the alcohol it can't really go bad. It may not look the same but I am sure alcohol keeps it sterile. The batch I made I drank for a couple years.

smokem94

BoM Sept. 05
Rating - 100%
147   0   0
Roxborough Park CO, Soon to be Wapiti, Wyoming
It depends on the proof. Anything less than 30% alcohol or 60 proof should be refrigerated. As far as flavoring, just the apples and cinamon sticks won't really do the trick. You need to take juice, sugar, and cinamon, bring to a boil, let cool, then add the shine. As far as the fruit in old shine, again, as long as the alchohol content was high enough, no worries.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yeah, high alcohol content will do it.

We used to blend in pineapples, juice and sugar with some plain shine or vodka and it would hold for a while. After a year or two it is a bit different looking, but still tasty.

Fruit absorbs the alcohol in it, and I've taken it out, crushed the fruit and gotten some interesting buzzes.