What's new

More Amazing Shooters

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Here are a few videos of more amazing shooters of a different sort...Cowboy Action Shooters.

Cowboy Action Shooting World Records

For those of you not familiar with the sport, here's some background...

Some folks describe CAS as "cowboy IPSC." While competing, CAS shooters dress in the spirit of the Old West. Some costumes are true-to-approximate reproductions of the original clothing of the period, or may be based upon television shows or movies...even the fanciful costumes of "B" westerns. (I suppose since most of these record attempts weren't made during competition, they didn't feel like getting all dressed up.) Competitors also adopt a shooting alias, which can be based in history or fiction.

The shooting part of the sport is intended to be safe, fun, and if you're up to it, fast. Reactive steel targets at close to moderate distances are the norm. Scores are based on raw time, with deductions for misses, procedural errors, and when called for, penalties for safety violations and failure to compete in the spirit of the game. The typical shooting scenario (or stage) involves the use of four firearms: shotgun, rifle, and two pistols...not necessarily in that order. All of the firearms used...originals or reproduductions...are representative of the Old West...

Pump shotgun — Typically the Winchester Model of 1897 but other external hammer shotguns of similar design may qualify. As demonstrated in the videos, the magazine tube is not usually loaded in advance of firing, so most competitors load the chamber singly on the fly.

SxS shotguns — Most often represented by the good old-fashioned, short-barreled coach gun. May have external (manually cocked) hammers, or internal hammers (hammerless) but may not have shell ejectors...extractors only.

Rifle — Must be chambered in pistol caliber. Popular lever-action models include the Henry Model of 1860; the Winchester models of 1866, 1873, and 1892, and various Marlins.

Pistols — Single action only! There are two major camps in CAS: the Colt (and clone) folks and the Ruger Vaquero shooters. However, you'll also find folks shooting something like the Remington Model of 1875 or even converted 1858s. Two pistols are normally used in each shooting stage. Hammers must be thumb-cocked. "Fanning" is not allowed at any time.

I sure wish I could shoot as fast as some of these folks.

smokem94

BoM Sept. 05
Rating - 100%
147   0   0
Roxborough Park CO, Soon to be Wapiti, Wyoming
We have a club with all the course stuff near the ranch.....I can here them shooting away on weekend mornings. Pretty cool stuff. I do have a friend that is big time into CMSA...Cowboy Mounted Shooting. That is like the Cowboy Action shooting only on horseback. I have done it once and it is way fun.......he wants me to join and compete, but I can't get into the requirement of the vintage clothing!