What's new

More Dark Sails in the Sunset...

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My friend just applied for a job with Alaska Airlines. He did not get the job. He was informed (although - supposedly - this was not the reason he didn't get the job ) they had tested for nicotine as part of his drug test (he just successfully quit cigarettes through vaping) and they have a "No Nicotine" policy....so his test result violated that....

Never heard of a company testing for nicotine as a condition of employment (maybe y'all have..) WTF is going on..?!

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I know here in ohio it's pretty much impossible to get a job in health care field without passing testing. I remeber hearing awhile back some police departments doing the same.

BigSkySmoke

Lanceros, Cowgirls and Burritos
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
My old insurance policy thru the timber mill would add a flat $50 a month per person for tobacco use.
I don't think they tested for it, but since the whole mill pretty much chewed (females included), I'm pretty sure everyone paid it for the most part.
But being a raging alcholic was perfectly acceptable...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not all doom and gloom folks. I have passed a nicotine test for a life insurance policy, they test your blood or urine for cotinine which is a by-product of nicotine. Luckily I was told in advance about the tests. You need a week for nicotine to pass through your system. Drink lots of water for a few days to help you pass it through faster.

Still a terrible thing to not have a cigar for a week. I feel for anyone that must go through that hell.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work for local government and while they don't nicotine test for employment, they do for insurance.

ANY nicotine user pays $10-$15 more per paycheck. I assume if you get caught, you're no longer covered at all.

The health industry and insurance need to catch up on the differences between tobaccos.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've heard of several large companies doing this. Lower health care costs.
Yep....this was trending a couple of decades ago when Health Care was in the Clinton sights to help "fix" healthcare and Companies were getting the idea that to save money on costs they'd exclude those who were "health risks" and 60 Minutes did a hour long report on this. The conclusion then was that Companies had a right to defend their programs so that costs didn't go through the roof...much like pre-existing conditions were the bane of coverages. If you were a person with heart disease and likely to have a heart attack in the near future.....buh bye coverage.

Healthcare had become a suckers bet...like insurance where they will only cover you if you were in excellent health...adding to insurance of almost any kind. High Risk brings higher costs...in any insurance. I had home owners insurance 20 years ago...had a flood in my basement that cost me $200 a month in coverage but they honored the insurance and fixed everything and 2 months later cancelled it....I called them and asked why and the secretary who answered the call told me it was because I "used" the insurance. I said...isn't that what it's for? She said ...."uh yeah" but you are a risk for future claims so your insurance was cancelled. WTF?

Last edited:

btubes18

The Thing
Rating - 100%
149   0   0
My old insurance policy thru the timber mill would add a flat $50 a month per person for tobacco use.
I don't think they tested for it, but since the whole mill pretty much chewed (females included), I'm pretty sure everyone paid it for the most part.
But being a raging alcholic was perfectly acceptable...
GE does this as well, but they specifically ask whether you're a cigarette smoker I think...or at least that is how I read it...lol

A Huge Nerd

Lee-Hair-Oh
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Friend of mine is a Sheriff in Texas. He is only a cigar smoker, and has to give them up for about a month every year leading up to the mandatory yearly test that looks for any trace of drugs, and also nicotine. Welcome to the nanny state.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
You say "nanny state" but that's kind of the wrong idea. Nannies actually care for your welfare. This is simply about the profits of insurance companies. They will do anything they can to exclude anyone that looks to be a risk, therefore attempting to maximize profit. This isn't nanny state; this is corporation state.

A Huge Nerd

Lee-Hair-Oh
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
You say "nanny state" but that's kind of the wrong idea. Nannies actually care for your welfare. This is simply about the profits of insurance companies. They will do anything they can to exclude anyone that looks to be a risk, therefore attempting to maximize profit. This isn't nanny state; this is corporation state.
You are correct, but I can all but guarantee that those corporations are in a cash dealings relationship with the politicians in power. It's an ugly machine. Nothing that big happens without Washington involvement, ever.