What's new

motorola: upgrading phones ?

GuyMcBeerdrinker

poonsmith
Rating - 90%
20   2   1
I currently sport a motorola v600 that is almost a year old. through an offer from my brother's company I can purchase a motorola pebl for a really good price. thinking about pulling the trigger. my phone works fine, but for this price I wouldn't mind upgrading to a newer clamshell model that doesn't have the antenna stub. plus I won't be extending my contract.

so my question is: I have heard of being able to go to a t-mobile (that is my provider) store and they plug your old phone into a computer that transfers your phone numbers to the new one. is this true? and I want to go one step further, can your pictures and ringtones be transferred to the new phone as well?

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
T-mobile uses SIM cards so some of the information can carry over if they move the SIM into your new phone. The rest of the data they probably can transfer by hooking it up to the computer.

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Guy,
Most Motorolas (and Nokias) have a cable & software available to do import from your phones and Windows contacts. It's pretty easy (about $30)

That's why I continue to buy Motorolas, so I can stick with any provider I choose.

~M

derek

An OG with low post count
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I normally re enter all my contacts. I use it as a way to clean out the old ones or the ones I don't need any more.

The software does work good tho. We use it at work for our company phones. This way if you lose it and get a new one, you just transfer the data.

SIM cards are new to a lot of carries. Nextel has used them for years, Verizion only uses them in the European market, Cingular has recently started but not on all there phones, As for the rest I have no clue

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
When I went from a Motorola 90i to an 870i at NEXTEL they just whipped out this little plastic gadget, put the sim from the old phone in one side the sim from the new phone on the other, pushed a button and 3 minutes later done. All data transfered. Technology is great!!!

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
If you wanna get the data yourself you can go to ebay and put in your phone model and look for data cable and find the cable for cheap. Make sure its the data cable though and not a charging cable some people sell that charges the phone over USB.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I use the software and cable hook up to my pc

That reminds me, I should back up my contacts.