What's new

Moving to Lexington, KY

USCG Cigar Newb

USCG Cigar Newb
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Well, I have not been on here much recently but I figured that since my wife and I will soon be moving to a new area I would start seeing what brothers live in the area. I am going to be getting out of the US Coast Guard in a couple of months and so far it appears that we are going to be moving to Lexington, KY so my wife can be near her parents (they just moved back to the country from Bosnia). I am either hoping to attend the accelerated one year MBA program at the Gatton College of Business at the University of Kentucky, or if I can find a good enough job, start working right away. Any one who lives in that area it would be good to hear from you and hopefully in the future do some meet ups. Living here in The Bahamas for the past three years has kept me from being able to enjoy meet ups (I know I know, poor me). Are there any good B&Ms in the area? I can not wait to have bourbon readily available for pairing with good sticks.

Bryce

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
How soon are you moving? Lexington is about 2 1/2 hours away... we've got a HERF planned in mid April.. might be an opportunity for you to get face to face with several BOTL in the area..

When you get to Lex.. go straight to the Kentucky Ale Brewery/Town Branch Distillery... they do an excellent tour! Was one of my favorite stops on the Kentucky Bourbon Trail..

Rating - 100%
33   0   1
I'm a gatton college grad- good business school. I'm about three hours away now but love lexington. Great town, good food, horses, and basketball. Bourbon too. What more could a man want?

USCG Cigar Newb

USCG Cigar Newb
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Hey mdwest thanks for the response. I do not know if I will be able to make it to that HERF, I might just miss it (flying out of here April 15th but not going directly to KY). It is funny you mention the Kentucky Ale/Town Branch, my father in law is actually the Technical Director there, and I am looking forward to getting the tour.

And Kantucky, good to hear that you liked it. From what I can tell it looks like a good surrounding area to go to the school. Did you do that one year program or the night classes?

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
On a completely separate note.. I am not a UK grad.. But I did recently complete an MBA.. I've got tons of resource materials, books, papers, group project reports, etc on hand that I'd be happy to share/drop off if you decide to pursue "B" school..

Probably won't help you actually "pass" a class... B school is all about unique projects, studies, etc... But it might save you a few bucks on resource materials and give you some ideas on directions to take with projects, etc...

USCG Cigar Newb

USCG Cigar Newb
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Thanks a lot sean. It is good to be back. Life has been hectic, but looking forward to getting back on here more as I move back and can finally do some meet ups. Kantucky I was wondering how hectic life was doing the one year program? Thanks a lot for the offer of resources and ideas mdwest, appreciate it and might take you up on the offer at some point.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I live a little over an hour away across the river from Louisville. Welcome to the area. That area of Kentucky is just beautiful with the bourbon trail and the horse farms. Never been to any of the cigar shops in Lexington so can't help ya there. Hope you like the Wildcats because they live and breath it 24/7/365 over there.

USCG Cigar Newb

USCG Cigar Newb
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Well finally arrived in Lexington with my application for the MBA program all sent in, a beard growing for the first time in my life (not having to shave everyday for the military is nice), and I just found a Jake's Cigar Bar in the area which I think I will head to tonight to watch the Kentucky Derby and check their selection. So if anyone every is going through the area just let me know.

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
Well finally arrived in Lexington with my application for the MBA program all sent in, a beard growing for the first time in my life (not having to shave everyday for the military is nice), and I just found a Jake's Cigar Bar in the area which I think I will head to tonight to watch the Kentucky Derby and check their selection. So if anyone every is going through the area just let me know.
Congrats brother