What's new

Moving West

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Been trying to make this happen for a couple years now, but we are finally going to leave the smoldering garbage heap that is New York state (sorry if there are any I heart NY folks here)

This has been a long time coming. I’ve been a lifelong resident of Rochester, NY, but never wanted to stay here forever. Mrs. Scotchman was even more interested in encouraging our exodus.

I spent a lot of time looking in the Charlotte or Raleigh North Carolina area, but in a different industry, and believe I didn’t find success because I was not qualified for anything other than entry level. That was good for a year or so of looking.

Now that I’ve stayed in my lane, I was able to find a good opportunity in Littleton Colorado, and we are very excited to head out there!

While I know the politics in Colorado are not necessarily headed in the *right* direction, they are still way ahead of NY, and have a better chance of turning around than NY. Looking forward to being better able to enjoy and practice my shooting hobbies. Also looking forward to better skiing and fishing, and want to get into hiking and camping.

And of course, looking forward to a longer smoking season, with much better views!

Any brothers in the Littleton area? Or any Colorado insights in general? Looking to keep it positive. And I know weed is legal, I’ve heard every joke already!

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Congratulations!! This state has and continues to be a smoldering garbage dump of a state, I have to agree. It's so sad how all of this BS is allowed and how our elected officials just keep ruining it even more. My wife and I, when looking for a house even considered moving into PA because it was so expensive and heavily taxed here in "the downstate." I don't blame anyone at all for picking up and leaving though. You have to do what's best for you and your family. Best of luck to you!!

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
West Virginia is a great state. Beautiful outdoors taxes are low but homes are very expensive and over priced. Especially the northern panhandle I’m 45 minutes from being in Pittsburgh where there’s so much to do and see.

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
I'm about 20-30 minutes north of Littleton. Have you looked at home/rental prices in that area? Nothing like WNY pricing lol. We have a few good places in the Denver metro area for cigars so that's not a problem. Plan for crazy traffic if you commute. Skiing any weekend is insanely busy but it still beats Bristol Mountain even with the traffic lol. What type of shooting are you into? Only one clays place near Littleton the others are a good drive. We do have few indoor ranges in the metro area.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
@Scotchman it’s not a joke! Weed is legal there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stupid Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In all seriousness my bro lives in Colorado Springs and absolutely loves Colorado. GOOD LUCK!!

Stupid Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm about 20-30 minutes north of Littleton. Have you looked at home/rental prices in that area? Nothing like WNY pricing lol. We have a few good places in the Denver metro area for cigars so that's not a problem. Plan for crazy traffic if you commute. Skiing any weekend is insanely busy but it still beats Bristol Mountain even with the traffic lol. What type of shooting are you into? Only one clays place near Littleton the others are a good drive. We do have few indoor ranges in the metro area.
Cool. Yes, we have an apartment lined up and are shopping for a house. Prices are high, but taxes are so much lower its basically a wash for us; we have very high property taxes where we are (5% property + 2.5% school = 7.5%, compared to like 1.25% in Littleton for “expensive” areas). So yes its expensive but it doesn’t feel like it for us, and I’d rather more of my money was going to home equity than a township that can’t seem to keep the roads usable.

I saw a few cigar places, not worried, but smoking does seem to be “shunned” due to the health focus around the area. But that’s ok. Once we’re out of the apartment (no smoking anywhere on the property), I will be smoking in my backyard anyway.

Traffic we will see. The current situation I am pretty close to work, and I bike, so if traffic is too bad I will solve it that way. I’ll know more in a couple weeks but I think since I’m staying away from Denver I should be fine. I hope.

I’m into the type of shooting where I’m on my own land not dealing with people’s stupid rules haha. Seriously though, primarily defensive pistol shooting, but I am looking forward to doing more rifle shooting now that they 1) aren’t as criminalized, and 2) I will hopefully have access to more land. I do shoot trap and skeet so good heads up on the unavailability of places to do that. My long term plan is to do that on my own land too, will eventually want to look into putting in automated clay throwers but that is way way down the road.

Thanks again for the advice, I’ll hit you up if I have any questions once I get out there next week.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Oh, and as for skiing, my plan is to go to one of the smaller hills that isn’t as expensive, Echo Mountain is one I found, but I have no idea what it will be like. I never go to Bristol on the weekend anyway, much more of a night skiier, or take the day off of work on a Tuesday to go skiing. We will see.

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
We do have clay shooting but it’s all about 40 minutes to 1.5 hours away. Bike paths all over the place. Living out of Denver has no effect on traffic trust me. Littleton is one of the worst places for traffic outside of Denver and I70 on the weekends haha. I know it’s more of a drive but your better off skiing Eldora over Echo if you don’t mind the smaller areas. Honestly I Echo so small and limited on snowfall I don’t know anyone who goes. Working in the industry I get the Epic pass free but I always buy a Loveland pass and ski more days with them. Moved from WNY 25 years ago and never looked back. We still visit Aug-Oct as I have a place in the Adirondacks and family all over. The way taxes, living expenses and real estate are moving we have seriously looked at moving the last few years. The weather is 90% of the reason we stay tho.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
We do have clay shooting but it’s all about 40 minutes to 1.5 hours away. Bike paths all over the place. Living out of Denver has no effect on traffic trust me. Littleton is one of the worst places for traffic outside of Denver and I70 on the weekends haha. I know it’s more of a drive but your better off skiing Eldora over Echo if you don’t mind the smaller areas. Honestly I Echo so small and limited on snowfall I don’t know anyone who goes. Working in the industry I get the Epic pass free but I always buy a Loveland pass and ski more days with them. Moved from WNY 25 years ago and never looked back. We still visit Aug-Oct as I have a place in the Adirondacks and family all over. The way taxes, living expenses and real estate are moving we have seriously looked at moving the last few years. The weather is 90% of the reason we stay tho.
It’s ironic how we are moving for the taxes and you are considering leaving because of the taxes. Everything is relative!