What's new

Moving With Cigars

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

Simple question for those who may be able to help me out. I am currently in the military and as such can plan on moving every few years. I have amazed a size able cigar collection to date since my last move, and am starting to worry about the next move. Obviously the cabinet would be shipped no big deal, but the smokes would either need to be shipped or go in the car/trailer. Boxes could be bagged with boveda packs to help control humidity, but I worry about all the temp fluctuations as well as the general physical damage that may occur to the smokes. What are everyone's opinions? Or how do you deal with a move?

Thanks

smokemifugotem

BoM July '10
Rating - 100%
190   0   1
Just moved twice in last year. For the long haul I took all my singles and put them in boxes with boveda. I only had a few other boxes so I put them in ziplocks with boveda at the time and they car with me in a box. When I got to atlanta it was pretty toasty so just brought them into the hotel with me. Did not put a lot of extra energy into it...actually spent more time securing my box and jar collection. Cigars go through a lot in most cases before they get to you so they can handle travel. The boxes and jars though...easily broken and not normally replaceable. But I love my collection. Just my .02

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
-remember that cello and uncello do NOT play well against each other
-less wiggle room is better
-multiple baggies give more than additive protection: two is more than double, three is more than triple, etc. someone here (and god help me but i cannot remember who, it's been over a year), mentioned it being a geometric, rather than arithmetic, progression. and, by some strange coincidence i shortly thereafter lost a box. i blame the cats. found it eight months later. in perfect condition. as it was in three freezer grade zip top bags.
-don't over think it, put precaution on the front side, then let it roll. remember this things are freighted in from tropical regions.

jwyatt55

Not the mad fladder!
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I would always ship the cabinet and carry all my cigars in a large coolider with plenty of beads to keep rh stable. I would try to pack away all singles into spare boxes I had laying around the house.

ATL

BoM 10/12, 9/13, & 8/14
Rating - 100%
342   0   0
Get yourself one of those food seal the air in thingies at your local big-box or online. This is better than a ziplock, especially if you use the freezer bags with it. Removes all the air, keeps them nice and snug, layer those in a cooler with a handful of bovedas and you're safe for weeks at a time. For the ones still in cello, plenty of ziplocks, just like Java siad, you'll be fine. I've got to face the same thing in June, I'm stealing my mom's sealer.

smokemifugotem

BoM July '10
Rating - 100%
190   0   1
I would suggest if you use a good sealer put any singles in boxes still. I know some guys and retailers use them without...but it squishes some cigars and can leave the imprint of the bag on it. But he is right...solid answer and you can store them like that for much longer than a ziplock. I did not do just due to them only being out of humi for 2 days at max.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
There is always the approach you could take of putting your singles in a desktop humi and coolidor the rest of them until you settle in.
The desktop can come with you in the vehicle and the coolidor can go in the trailer. Liplocks and sealer will be your best friends along with Boveda and Heartfelt to controll the RH

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Or and this just hit after I posted you could smoke all the cigars before you move and start your new collection at your new place. This is a win win lol.

Good luck though.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Coleman ice chests. Keep in boxes. Buy a pound of beads. No real worries about air circulation in that short time period. Treat them like a small child. You don't leave them in a hot car. You dont leave em out side in a freezing car. You keep them close, comfortable and them give them rest when the trip is over.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Coleman ice chests. Keep in boxes. Buy a pound of beads. No real worries about air circulation in that short time period. Treat them like a small child. You don't leave them in a hot car. You dont leave em out side in a freezing car. You keep them close, comfortable and them give them rest when the trip is over.
:headroll: best metaphor EVER

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
-multiple baggies give more than additive protection: two is more than double, three is more than triple, etc. someone here (and god help me but i cannot remember who, it's been over a year), mentioned it being a geometric, rather than arithmetic, progression.
I am SHOCKED that something I put on the forum stuck! Take that, those who shun scientific research and its application to cigars!

That said, I plan to do what exactly what Chuck said:

Coleman ice chests. Keep in boxes. Buy a pound of beads.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
-multiple baggies give more than additive protection: two is more than double, three is more than triple, etc. someone here (and god help me but i cannot remember who, it's been over a year), mentioned it being a geometric, rather than arithmetic, progression.
I am SHOCKED that something I put on the forum stuck! Take that, those who shun scientific research and its application to cigars!

That said, I plan to do what exactly what Chuck said:

Coleman ice chests. Keep in boxes. Buy a pound of beads.
Check out Big 5 for scratch and dent. I got three of them for $25 to $30 bucks each. I gave them to cigar friends afterwards and they now have cooledors.