What's new

Music Theory?

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Does anyone here study/geek out on Music Theory? I know my rhythmic tree and my scales. I know how to make triads and inverted chords. But that is where I stop.

Does anyone have a book they could recommend? I want to learn about counterpoint and stuff.

Herfin' Harg

BoM March 2012
Rating - 100%
142   0   0
I took a number of theory/composition/ear training courses in college, but I couldn't point you to a book at this point.

You might consider narrowing your search to particular areas of theory to start. (i.e., If you were interested in Jazz Harmony, you're not gonna find that in a typical "Western Music Theory"-type texts that center around church modes and other "classical" theory subject matter.)

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Undergrad is a BM in Music Composition, grad degree is a MM in Music Technology. I'm your huckleberry. Unfortunately I have since lost, sold, or lent out most of my basic books. I'll check out my music library and see what I can drum up for you.

luckysaturn13

Smoke it if ya got it!
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I love me some nirvana unplugged in ny. Music theory is amazing if you can grasp it. Was hard for me but I really wanted to learn to take of on some blues scales with my uncle.