What's new

MUWAT Fire Cured - new vs. aged

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Last year I bought a couple of the MUWAT Fire Cured just to try them. I smoked the first one shortly after I got them. The pre-light aroma was full-on campfire. The smokiness was strong and I was intrigued. When I lit it up the smokiness was the dominant flavor. I'm not a good cigar reviewer so I don't have all the all the descriptive adjectives to add to this review but I can say it was different from anything I had had previously. I liked it. I enjoy strong flavors (not necessarily strong cigars). I would compare it to one of the smoked craft beers that are available. It's not a flavor that I would go to on a regular basis but it was something I was in the mood for and I really enjoyed.

The second cigar I didn't get around to smoking for a full year. Today I pulled it out and opened the end of the cello. I put it up to my nose and was surprised that the strong smoke smell was significantly less. I lit it up and the campfire was nowhere to be found. It still had some smokiness but it was mellowed to the point where the other flavors could come through. It was a great little smoke. Lots of flavor, lots of smoke.

These cigars were well constructed. They burned well and had a great draw. So if you want to try them I would recommend not aging them so that you can experience what makes these guys so different. But if you do put some age on them they will still be unique, still have lots of flavor and will be a very enjoyable smoke.

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I really didn't like the fire cured but enjoyed the regular line. I will say though that with a year I did enjoy it but won't go out of my way to buy more. It seems to be a love them or hate them cigar.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it tasted like a Stone Bourbon Barrel-Aged Arrogant Bastard in a cigar. Your review was very accurate, and to add a good stout like the Great Divide Yeti gives a combined flavor similar to S'mores. Fantastic cigar for certain scenarios, like camping :)

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I definitely agree with your initial impression. Have a couple more Chunkys from last year and will try one soon. Thanks for the revisit review.

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I love the fire cured as well. (y) But I think you'll find us to be the exception, not the rule, among the brotherhood...it's just not a popular stick around here.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I gave one a try a while back. I like the muwat, and went into it expecting to enjoy it, but I ended up pitching it half way through. The smoke flavor was just way too strong and had on off taste to me that I just couldn't get past. I have one more I may try some day. I can't explain it well, but I simply found it unpleasant. Maybe after it mellows out a bit.....or maybe it'll go to someone else looking to try em.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I do not like firecured tobacco in cigars. I didn't like the KFC, and I'm one of the few who didn't like the Lecca black either, even though it was less smokey.

I do appreciate it in some pipe tobaccos, but even there I think I generally prefer blends without it.

ChipS

Chip
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I love the pre-light aroma from the KFCs but never felt that it held up while smoking - after reading your review I may have to try to track down some that have a little less age on them and try again.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the smell of grilling meat, particularly with some hickory thrown in so I was intrigued with the MUWAT fire cured. Stopped by a B&M and paid 9 bucks for one. It was kinda weird, but I liked it as a novelty smoke. Bought 10 online at 4 bucks per and have smoked one of these.

Definitely not a go-to smoke, but I'm glad I have them on hand for when the mood strikes. I keep them segregated from the rest of my cigars because of the strong hickory aroma. Interesting stuff about aging. Thanks, guys.