What's new

My Condolences Jason

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
This thread is for JW who is on his way to put his dog, his best freind of more than nine years, down. I would like to have this thread here for him when he gets back tonight or logs on tomorrow.

I am so sorry for your loss Jason and it brings tears to my eyes everytime I try to imagine how hard it must be. Hang in there man and remember we are all here for you.

Texas Cop

Cavalry Scout
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Best wishes bro, I remember losing my dog was a very hard thing to handle, but it was his time to go, and he was in a lot pain, so it was a relief to know that he was in the hands of :angel:

Andrew

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Been there too man and you deserve all the helping words we can offer. Losing my first pet after I was a child was one of the hardest things I'd ever gone through. You have a great thing to look forward too though; a lifetime of amazing memories that you'll start to discover the minute you get back from the vet.
We're here for you.

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
You all know how much I love dogs in general (and my current dog Buster is like a son). I know what your going through bro and every time I had done, it has felt like the saddest day in my life. Please find some confort in knowing that what your doing is the right thing. People often keep pets too long out of selfishness. It's VERY stand up in my book to put aside ones feelings for what's the right thing to do.

God speed in your recovery bro!

Sincerely,
Mark

tripp

MASTER SHAKE
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
My feelings go out to you JW.

I have been thru this before and it was a horrible feeling that still tears me up 9 years later.
I thought I was going to have to go thru it last month but it was something that was treatable with drugs and immobilization.

I hope it makes you feel better knowing that there are a lot of guys on here that feel for you.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Sorry to hear that JW. I've been there through several family dogs, and none of them have ever been easy. I hope in time the memories will bring welcome thoughts instead of sadness.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Dang it guys, makin' me cry again! :wink:

I appreciate all the kind words, more than I can express. You guys really are amazing. Letting Kodiak go has been the hardest thing I've ever done. Craig hit on a big part of what made this so hard. Kodiak was the first dog that was ever, truly, mine. My wife and I got him when we were in college (summer of our last year actually). We actually rescued him from a not so great situation. At any rate, I've lost a handful of families dogs throughout the years but they just weren't the same. The first one I was really too young to know anything but that my Mom was really uspset, and for the others I wasn't around (in college). I was just that much closer to Kodiak. We don't have children and our pets have always been like our children...and for me Kodiak was closer to a child to me than any other pet we've ever had. (the wife tends to get more attached to all of them :wink:)
We both stayed with him while it was done. Couldn't imagine leaving him there...especially once we got there and I saw how freaked out he was...the last trip wasn't a pleasant one for him with all the poking and prodding that went on and it wasn't very long ago.

I miss him terribly, but he was a wonderful dog and the wife and I are already laughing through some of the tears with shared memories of just how wonderfully goofy he was.

So I guess the message I'm trying to get across is, thanks everyone. I really appreciate it.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Sorry to hear of this Jason...I have a dog that is about to go to doggie heaven and I give him less then 6 months. Ole faithfull smokin' buddy is what he is :crying:

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Sorry about this pal. The hardest thing I've ever done was put my sweet, faithful, 15.5 year old golden retriever "Allie" to sleep.

It really is a true act of love and compassion that we put aside our needs and give them the peace and rest they have earned and deserve.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sad to hear about your dog. Mine is 18 now and it's always at the back of my mind that one day I'll have to make that decision. As you said the difference is being your own dog. I cried when the family dog was put to sleep but i've had Rush since she was 5 weeks old and i couldn't imagine her not being there. The emotions we show to our fellow animals is one of our great virtues and never a weakness. There's been shown a great link between animal abuse and child cruelty and vice versa. This shows how great you are as a human being and that your dog was also lucky to have you and your wife as his friend.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Thank you again, everyone. Last night was tough and this morning was just plain weird. The house is just too empty...too quiet (that is when the dang bird isn't screaming :wink:). I miss my boy like crazy, but the support you guys have given me has been wonderful.

This kind of thread really shows what it means to be a member of this community of ours.