What's new

My first bowl!

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I got the pipes and tobacco from Ted today. I couldn't wait to try it.

After I put the tobacco in baby food jars and labeled them I packed a bowl of the C&D #066 Star of the East (Balkan) in the cherry pipe he lent me and stepped out onto the front porch.

I like this man, I can already tell I am going to have to really fight the OCD on this new found hobby.

I packed it kind of loosely at first and it wouldn't light but then I packed it quite a bit firmer, which made the bowl half as full as when I stepped outside. Once I did that it stayed lit all the way to the end. I think I may have drooled a little because I started to hear a slight bubbling sound. It didn't really affect the flavor though...it was delicious!

This is definitely going to be fun!

Thanks again Ted!

eric_f

Semper Fi!
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Congrats! Whenever I smoked, I packed it three times. Once to get the bulk of the tobacco, again to fill it to 3/4 and then some finely pinched stuff on top for ease of lighting. One thing you might want to consider as well, and correct me if I'm wrong Ted, but don't you usually need to let a pipe rest at least a day after smoking it so it doesn't start to get rancid? All the more reason to have more than one pipe :grin:

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Yeah, I did that in a sense but now I know to pack more and to pack it frimer.

I can let that one rest while I give the second pipe he sent a shot later this afternoon. Appaerently this one is to be used for Virginias...smaller bowl with thicker sides.

eric_f

Semper Fi!
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I've never tried Cornell & Diehl tobacco. I may just have to see if the local shop carries any of their stuff. The fact that you didn't describe the flavor as "musty" lures me to this blend, lol.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Eric ... Cornell + Diehl probably has the widest variety of tobaccos of any blender on the market. Talk with Craig or Patty about your likes and dislikes and they can usually recommend something to fit your tastes. Plus they also sell sampler packs.

The Star or the East blend is a Balkan ... and thus has a large percentage of Latakia and Oriental leaf. You said you did not care for English type blends, so this may not fit your tastes.

Todd ... I'm glad you enjoyed that first bowl. Tell your wife that I'm sorry to have corrupted you further ... :headroll:

sgresso

Long hair Dork
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
don't worry ted I will share the Blame with ya with the package I sent him also.....
I can see Todd on the cover of P&T magizine in a few years...

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Thanks Eric!

Gave it another shot on some Orlick Dark Strong Kentucky. I think this tobacco needs to be set out to dry a little before smoking. It was real sticky when I was breaking it up and didn't burn so good. I can't give a good opinion on this tobacco or the pipe because of it. We'll see next time.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
:rofl:

I'll have to take another picture but I have 15 pipes now, probably 25 mason jars with at least an ounce of tobacco in them, and probably 30 other baggies of tobacco in Tupperware.

What? :dunno:

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I have a pipe and a pipe tool now, but haven't picked up any tobacco yet. Thinkin about ordering some from JR like a few tins of Dunhill tobacco or somethin.

gui_tarzan

Certifiable
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Wasch_24 said:
:rofl:

I'll have to take another picture but I have 15 pipes now, probably 25 mason jars with at least an ounce of tobacco in them, and probably 30 other baggies of tobacco in Tupperware.

What? :dunno:

You're such a pipe ho!

Attachments