What's new

My first home rolled cigar.......Thx @webmost!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jody I should clarify. I started overfilling to make them look better sub consciously. You can smoke under filled easier than over filled Stupid Tapatalk
Only to a point. Overfilled ( more properly called too tight) will have draw problems. Too loose and the tobacco will not be "Properly acquainted with one another" and will require frequent relights. Kinda like a camp fire; Spread out the kindling so its not touching each other or the larger pieces of wood and it will not support combustion. Before I had a mold I rolled them too loose and that's the problem I struggled with.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Smoking my first home rolled cigar. I definitely have a ways to go!! I rolled this one WAY TO TIGHT. :banghead: It actually has a decent taste and the aroma is really good, but I think I just sucked a couple fillings out of my teeth trying to smoke it. :nailbiting: It is staying lit though and the burn line is straight with a nice white ash. Used the PerfecDraw tool on it which helped a little. I’m not really good at picking out flavors in a cigar but I can for sure taste the pepper in this one.
A76A53B2-650E-466D-9FBF-5E68C5EDB96E.jpeg

About a third of the way through it now. The wrapper is flaking in places but the draw seems to be loosening up some. Yep, I’m getting more smoke through it now. Flavor and aroma still the same as the first third. The burn line is also getting a little wonky now, but I think it’s due to the wrapper flaking.
04ACBD7E-F278-4770-9EAD-E823706F166A.jpeg

It’s getting a little spicier now that it’s getting close to the end. The draw has also loosened up even more. Not bad at all now and getting a good amount of smoke through it. I also had to straighten up the burn line a time or two as I was getting to the end.
3C9F5B7F-27AA-421D-8D34-C86DBEF46A0F.jpeg

Nubbed that BITCH!!(y)
C56BB70B-85C6-4BDE-A246-11C0966C1A07.jpeg

I fired this cigar up at 1:45pm and put it down at 3:14pm, so it lasted right at 1 1/2 hours.

Thanks again @webmost for making this possible.

Jody

akpreacherplayz

The Preacher
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
Smoking my first home rolled cigar. I definitely have a ways to go!! I rolled this one WAY TO TIGHT. :banghead: It actually has a decent taste and the aroma is really good, but I think I just sucked a couple fillings out of my teeth trying to smoke it. :nailbiting: It is staying lit though and the burn line is straight with a nice white ash. Used the PerfecDraw tool on it which helped a little. I’m not really good at picking out flavors in a cigar but I can for sure taste the pepper in this one.
View attachment 127045

About a third of the way through it now. The wrapper is flaking in places but the draw seems to be loosening up some. Yep, I’m getting more smoke through it now. Flavor and aroma still the same as the first third. The burn line is also getting a little wonky now, but I think it’s due to the wrapper flaking.
View attachment 127048

It’s getting a little spicier now that it’s getting close to the end. The draw has also loosened up even more. Not bad at all now and getting a good amount of smoke through it. I also had to straighten up the burn line a time or two as I was getting to the end.
View attachment 127051

Nubbed that BITCH!!(y)
View attachment 127052

I fired this cigar up at 1:45pm and put it down at 3:14pm, so it lasted right at 1 1/2 hours.

Jody
Great job bro! FYI a few months will make a world of difference if you can roll some to stash away.

Sent from Area 51 using telepathy

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Great job bro! FYI a few months will make a world of difference if you can roll some to stash away.

Sent from Area 51 using telepathy
Thanks! I hope to put some back the next time I roll. I was just really curious how this one would do. I’m glad I smoked it before I rolled anymore cause I need to watch how tight I roll them. This one way too tight.

Jody

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Thanks! I hope to put some back the next time I roll. I was just really curious how this one would do. I’m glad I smoked it before I rolled anymore cause I need to watch how tight I roll them. This one way too tight.

I think you will find it was tight because the leaves were "wet" as you progress you will roll with dryer leaves and wont have that problem, great start though

Jody

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
View attachment 127045

View attachment 127048

View attachment 127051

Nubbed that BITCH!!(y)
View attachment 127052

Jody
Awesome! Congrats on burning your first home made cigar!

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
View attachment 127045

View attachment 127048

View attachment 127051

Nubbed that BITCH!!(y)
View attachment 127052

Jody
Too cool, man! Congrats on the stick and the great post! Rolling is all about calibrating and learning and you are off to an amazing start.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0

Jody
Tight is a good thing, Jode. Don't fight tight. You do want a firm roll. What you want is tight with a loose draw. You got halfway there, so don't back up.

It's not tightness that plugs the draw. You've no doubt his on any number of store bought gars that are firm as the devil and yet air can go thru. It could be that you let your filler twist as it got bound. It has that tendency to twist, & you have to fight it. Think of that twist crimping the leaves together. Or, it could be that your filler was damp. Think of the damp gluing the leaves shut together. It needs to be dry enough to crackle just a bit.

Again: It's not tightness that plugs the draw. It's no way for air to get thru that's the problem. So solve the problem -- make a way for air to get thru. Keep it firm but add air. Try this on the next one: loosely roll each filler leaf before you add them to the bunch. In essence, think of making a fistful of soda straws. You can still have the outmost filler leaf flat, to wrap round the others & hold them in place for the binder. You'll see a lot of talk about this method here. It's called "entubado". You don't have to roll each filler down small... just loose, but enough to give you that many air passages. So lay down a nice big rectangle of a filler leaf on your palm, then take the next leaf and roll it lengthwise just a couple three four turns, lay that in your palm inside that leaf rectangle, then the next segment, and so forth, until you have a fistful. Roll them all up together in your binder. That first rectangle holds them together while you bind them up. It still feels tight; but you have created a round bundle of air passages.

Easy street.

Fellers, who knows a good vid showing entubado that they could hand our brother Jody here a link to?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Tight is a good thing, Jode. Don't fight tight. You do want a firm roll. What you want is tight with a loose draw. You got halfway there, so don't back up.

It's not tightness that plugs the draw. You've no doubt his on any number of store bought gars that are firm as the devil and yet air can go thru. It could be that you let your filler twist as it got bound. It has that tendency to twist, & you have to fight it. Think of that twist crimping the leaves together. Or, it could be that your filler was damp. Think of the damp gluing the leaves shut together. It needs to be dry enough to crackle just a bit.

Again: It's not tightness that plugs the draw. It's no way for air to get thru that's the problem. So solve the problem -- make a way for air to get thru. Keep it firm but add air. Try this on the next one: loosely roll each filler leaf before you add them to the bunch. In essence, think of making a fistful of soda straws. You can still have the outmost filler leaf flat, to wrap round the others & hold them in place for the binder. You'll see a lot of talk about this method here. It's called "entubado". You don't have to roll each filler down small... just loose, but enough to give you that many air passages. So lay down a nice big rectangle of a filler leaf on your palm, then take the next leaf and roll it lengthwise just a couple three four turns, lay that in your palm inside that leaf rectangle, then the next segment, and so forth, until you have a fistful. Roll them all up together in your binder. That first rectangle holds them together while you bind them up. It still feels tight; but you have created a round bundle of air passages.

Easy street.

Fellers, who knows a good vid showing entubado that they could hand our brother Jody here a link to?
I've obviously made hundreds of vids showing entubado. Can't say whether they're good. I think I talk about it and demo it in this one:

Rating - 100%
18   0   0

Easy street.

Ok, I’ll give that a try. Thanks for the advice and guidance.

I've obviously made hundreds of vids showing entubado. Can't say whether they're good. I think I talk about it and demo it in this one:
Thanks, I’ll give that video a look.

Jody

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
As Webmost mentioned, make sure the filler leaves are fairly dry. They should crackle a little as you try to bunch them. Damp filler was my mistake for a couple of years. About half my sticks would have too tight of a draw. It was frustrating because I tried to roll looser and then the sticks were too soft. When I finally learned how dry the filler needed to be it made a world of difference.
You've got some incredibly experienced rollers giving you advice (I'm not one of them). Soak it all in. But most of all "relax and have fun". As long as you slowly get better you will eventually become great.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
As Webmost mentioned, make sure the filler leaves are fairly dry. They should crackle a little as you try to bunch them. Damp filler was my mistake for a couple of years. About half my sticks would have too tight of a draw. It was frustrating because I tried to roll looser and then the sticks were too soft. When I finally learned how dry the filler needed to be it made a world of difference.
You've got some incredibly experienced rollers giving you advice (I'm not one of them). Soak it all in. But most of all "relax and have fun". As long as you slowly get better you will eventually become great.
Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. (y)

Jody