What's new

My first Padron (4000)

Thegreekone

Banned
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Ok, first things first: newbie alert. Second, I am hoping for feedback since the praise for these smokes go far and wide and there were some problems despite a great flavor profile.

Ok, as nobody will be surprised to hear, I had to run away from the Tatuaje section. One, I want to try every one RIGHT NOW, and two, I don't want to get in a rut, which is what I do when I find something I like....a LOT!

Couldn't decide on Illusione, La Trivda, or Casa Magna Colorado.....so I went with a Padron 4000. Nice size, not cheap but not a wallet buster either. As I have stated before, I am smoking 1-2 at home a week and 1 at my local B&M, which is over-priced. It's in a ritz area, is beautiful inside, blah, blah, blah..

Anyway, it feel very "rustic" in my hand, solidly constructed, but sort of rough. To my delight, it fired up nicely and burned beautifully about the first 1/4, then it started to have burn issues, which from what I have read on here is the exception and not the norm. (feel free to chime in here) Hitting the last 1/3 it went out and I did not set it down for more than a minute or two that time. Trust me, I was not letting this puppy wait too long and I know I fired it up nicely. Anyway, I am not sure what is major or not. A few weird burns took care of themselves but I had to torch a couple times.

ANYWAY, I like to save the best for last and the good news is that the flavors were good and deep with a lot of nice smoke. The more I smoke this stick the more it evolved profile-wise. First smokey leather, then some unsweetened dark choc, and finally some espresso at the end. Never got too hot to handle and the flavor never dipped or became bitter at the end. Matter of fact, the exact opposite. The cigar was hitting its stride and then NUB.

Btw, this smoke lasted a good 90 minutes and I was going at it pretty good. Not over-smoking, just trying to "figure it out."

Any recos for my next Padron?

Thanks!

Attachments

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
padron anni dip maduro. The 4000 and 5000 maduro are a great smoke especially with age!

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
My favorite of the regular line is the 2000 maduro. You can't go wrong with any of the anniversaries. I usually stick with the 1964 anniversary (prefer natural), as the shop I pick them up at has the 1926 for $10 more per stick for similar sizes, and I personally don't think they're that much better.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cousin smoked that exact cigar, while I smoked a RP Vintage 1990 at our local B&M. He liked it a lot, worried that he may never be able to smoke a cheap cigar again.

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
The padron X000's line is one of the best mid-budget sticks there is. Without spending alot I would recommend the 64 over the 26's as they are just as tasty for alot less.

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Nice review for a noob! Lol Just playing man. Sounds like you had a good experience with a good smoke. The burn issue could be related to high humidity at the B&M which could cause similar problems.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Any recos for my next Padron?
Well there aren't really many options when it comes to Padron. It's not like with Tats or Pepin where there are quite a few blends and what not. With Padron you got the x000s and the anniversary lines (1926 and 1964), then you have the choice of natural or maduro wrapper (I prefer the maduro myself). But what they lack in diversity they make up for in doing it right. I've never had a problem with a Padron. My favorite Padron is the 2000, but the x000 line in general is really good. Have not had an anniversary yet for comparison, but there is one resting in the humi and I expect it will be delicious :grin:.

Dan

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
As a huge Padron fan, my go-to stick has always been the PAM 64 Exclusivo in Maduro. Great cigar and a great price for what you get.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thegreekone - Great review! Was thinking of picking up some Padons and with this thread kind of made up my mind to get some of the x000 series. Thanks guys

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I haven't had one yet, I received one in a bomb....I was tempted to burn it but choose to save it for later. Nice review.

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
nice review!! i used to smoke the x000 series quite often... then i migrated to the anni's and never turned back. so, yeah, try the 1964!!

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
As a huge Padron fan, my go-to stick has always been the PAM 64 Exclusivo in Maduro. Great cigar and a great price for what you get.
+1. Exclusivo maddy's are spectacular. Got to get my hands on some more... it's been a while.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Love the x000's - specially the 3k and 5k - 64's are great as well - monarca maddi is a personal favorite - you can't go wrong with any of the padron line -