What's new

My First Review - Gurkha Evil Robusto (very image heavy!)

Ducati

Monster.
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is my first review. Constructive criticism is welcomed. I used a 50mm and 100mm Macro lens on my Canon 400D. The light outside changed rapidly so I ended up using the popup flash which led to some harsh lighting on the cigar and ashtray.

Gurkha Evil - Robusto

Price
~$8 at local B&M

Pre-light Thoughts
From what I've read, this smoke was supposed to be very strong with a full-bodied flavor. I read a few positive reviews and as a Gurkha fan, I wanted to give it a try.

Construction
Wrapper was an excellent deep brown, almost like dark bread. Seemed like there was a little oil on the wrapper and the cigar was packed well. The cigar itself was very firm with little give. There was a small hole in the wrapper maybe an 8th of an inch under the label. Beetle? Imperfection? Not sure. It didn't really impact the build. The band was a bit much though; the Gurkha cigars I've had seem to have overly extravagant bands.

Burn
The burn was very consistent throughout. It never went stray, and stayed lit the entire time even after a period of 5 minutes when I was getting some coffee. The ash held on decently. The smoke was thick, creamy, and had a whitish-grey color - one thing I noticed was there was a lot of enjoyable smoke.

Flavor
The flavor was not overpowering and had hints of wood, almond, and coffee. I thought there was a trace of chocolate. There was also a spicy, peppery taste left on the palate which I thought was very pleasant.

Final thoughts
I didn't think the cigar was "strong", and I think it's more on the medium side as opposed to the advertised "full body". I would definitely try this one again, but the jury's out on a full box. I'll see if I can locate a 5 pack.

Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Nice review....I may have to pick one of these up and see which side of the polarization I end up on...

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Really nice photos and know the more you do this the better and more creative you will get. Look forward to more reviews and pictures.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Nice review and pic's my brother, glad you enjoyed it! :thumbsup:

....just my opinion now, but judging from your picture, that did look like a tobacco beetle hole to me.

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
great review brother!! :thumbsup:

I saw these at my local but wasn't sure about them. Gurhka always seems to over sell it so I balk when I see a new one. I may have to give this one a shot after reading your review. It's sound good to me!

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Thanks for the review, great job! I've liked more Gurkhas than I've disliked, but haven't actually heard of this one.