What's new

My Herf-A-Dor X5 review

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Well, I really wanted this product to work. I’ve been using an Elephant Case 3 stick travel humidor. It works, & seals, just fine with just a small boveda & cigars inside, but there isn’t much room for a cutter & lighter inside. It also won’t accommodate longer sticks like churchhills. I got a herf-a-dor x5 on cbid for $6.41 in the freefall section. I figured for that price, I’d give it a chance. I’ve read mixed reviews on it & it seams that it’s hit or miss if you’ll get a good one. I guess I missed. I put a small flashlight inside, closed it with the flashlight on, & turned the lights off in the room. As you can see from the pic, there’s clearly light visible though all 4 corners. It obviously won’t hold humidity. It might be fine to put a cigar or two in for a day trip if you’re planning on them being smoked that day, but I wouldn’t plan on loading it up, flying somewhere, & expecting it to hold rh for a few days. It would protect the cigars just fine if you put them in a ziplock bag with a small boveda & put the bag inside, but that’s not how it’s supposed to work. Anyway, here’s the pic, & in my opinion, there are better options.45A0EC32-6CFE-4F4C-B14E-7B2C8FCB593D.jpeg

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Good test, I'll try that on mine. I got a 5 and 10 herf for like $10 total, so even for the use I've got out of them just bringing smokes to BBQs and such it's worth it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
A
Good test, I'll try that on mine. I got a 5 and 10 herf for like $10 total, so even for the use I've got out of them just bringing smokes to BBQs and such it's worth it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Agree. They’re fine for a day trip, transporting a few sticks from your B&M to home, going fishing or golfing or something, etc. I just wouldn’t want to leave um in it for an extended period of time, like more than a day.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I ended up putting a small bead of aquarium sealant in the trough, let it dry them reinstalled the seal. Works great now. I already had the sealant anyway. It was on a 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just got one off of cbid too for dirt cheap. Mine seems to be a good one (considering there was no light coming through on the "light test"). I do however like the idea of the sealant for confirmation.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I had one from cbid that did the same. Contacted customer service, they shipped it a new one right away. Then I had two that wouldn't seal. Contacted CS again and they told me they weren't sending me anymore, so they just credited my account. My xikar cigar locker whatchamacallit works very well, despite having some flaws that make me wonder if they smoke cigars.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
A few days even in that case that doesn't seal and your cigars will be just fine. But yeah, I stopped buying the Otter-box style cases because the QC is terrible now. Xikar's 5-pack cases are still great quality.

As far as needing to store a lighter and a cutter, take $60 and outfit your kit:

Slip the Boveda pack and cutter under the bottom foam. Works perfectly.

Boveda 4-gram Packs
Cuban Crafters credit card cutter
Xikar Turrim lighter

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Well, I really wanted this product to work. I’ve been using an Elephant Case 3 stick travel humidor. It works, & seals, just fine with just a small boveda & cigars inside, but there isn’t much room for a cutter & lighter inside. It also won’t accommodate longer sticks like churchhills. I got a herf-a-dor x5 on cbid for $6.41 in the freefall section. I figured for that price, I’d give it a chance. I’ve read mixed reviews on it & it seams that it’s hit or miss if you’ll get a good one. I guess I missed. I put a small flashlight inside, closed it with the flashlight on, & turned the lights off in the room. As you can see from the pic, there’s clearly light visible though all 4 corners. It obviously won’t hold humidity. It might be fine to put a cigar or two in for a day trip if you’re planning on them being smoked that day, but I wouldn’t plan on loading it up, flying somewhere, & expecting it to hold rh for a few days. It would protect the cigars just fine if you put them in a ziplock bag with a small boveda & put the bag inside, but that’s not how it’s supposed to work. Anyway, here’s the pick, & in my opinion, there are better options.View attachment 119293
This is so awesome to hear considering I have like 3 coming.....

Guess I need to order some aquarium sealant or something....

Stupid Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
This is so awesome to hear considering I have like 3 coming.....

Guess I need to order some aquarium sealant or something....

Stupid Tapatalk
Yea I figured it was worth a shot for that price. I just contacted customer service like @VeLoRoK suggegsted. I’m just waiting for a response. If they send another I may try pulling out the seal on one & use it to double the seal on the other or may add some type of sealant glue. Or, may just trash the thing & keep using what I had or try something else.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Yea I figured it was worth a shot for that price. I just contacted customer service like @VeLoRoK suggegsted. I’m just waiting for a response. If they send another I may try pulling out the seal on one & use it to double the seal on the other or may add some type of sealant glue. Or, may just trash the thing & keep using what I had or try something else.
I wouldn't trash it. How many rounds of 9mm will it hold you think?

Stupid Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I got one of the 5x ones a few years ago and it has work for me. Never tried the "flashlight test" but did have one cigar in it that I had forgotten about for a few months while I was in Korea and it was still fine. They are really good for protection as I have knocked mine of a balcony a time or two with no problems.

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Just make sure to pack a boveda, and you'll have no problems. Mine is jacked up too, but it works well enough to carry a daily stash.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
@Yakcraz
Got (2) X5 today from CBID and (1) X40. Did the same test as you with 300 lumen. The X40 and (1) X5 seem to seal good. (1) X5 you can MAYBE see a little light through in pitch black room, but not the corners and definitely not like in your pics. Clearly they are hit and miss. I do not see the gasket lasting long either.

Stupid Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I’ve got a 40 count and a 15 count, the 15 is my travel humidor when I’m on the road and the 40 is just a little “too big” for me to really get much use out of it.

Love my 15 count though - great for 15-18 shorter (Robusto, Corona Gorda, etc.) smokes, I usually put the bigger stuff on the bottom layer, and a Boveda / Xikar X1 / soft flame up top, never had any issues.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I had purchased 3 in different sizes over the years....5, 10 and 15 and they have performed great. Never thought to do a flashlight test as when I snap the thing shut...its tighter than than spandex on a 350-pound woman. If it ain't broke I ain't fixin it. I keep a digital in each one and they are DNO since 2014.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I’ve got a 40 count and a 15 count, the 15 is my travel humidor when I’m on the road and the 40 is just a little “too big” for me to really get much use out of it.

Love my 15 count though - great for 15-18 shorter (Robusto, Corona Gorda, etc.) smokes, I usually put the bigger stuff on the bottom layer, and a Boveda / Xikar X1 / soft flame up top, never had any issues.
Same here, also have a 10 ct but it's the 15 that sees the most use, and I don't even bother with a boveda. Loaded my 15 2 weeks ago for a weekend trip, took one out last night and it burned perfect.