What's new

My hiatus: A story of coming out to family

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear Brothers and Sisters of the Leaf,

It's been a while since I've been here, and it's been a while since I've smoked a cigar. Very few of you may remember me, but I used to post a couple of posts here and there about half a year ago until March of this year - and that's where this story of mine starts.

I originally joined BOTL.ORG about a year ago around this time; I had turned 18 and ventured into the fascinating world of cigars. Along the way I met many great and very kind fellow BOTL and SOTL, smoked many great cigars, and had plenty of memorable and transcendental experiences. Incredible, I believed, about how great cigars were as a moderated hobby and a way that brought people from all walks of life together to share in the session (or herf!).

But cigars were a hidden world of mine to my family. I was a community college student who still lived at home, with a small travel humidor hidden in his closet, and double-guillotine cutter and Ronson Jet Torch in his drawer away from view.

To be honest, I had it good! I hid my interests well, and my family never noticed. But something inside of me still didn't feel right. I loved my family. They only raised me to become a respectable and honest man - which is what I try to be to this day. As I discerned more about my actions, I came to the realization that in order for me to be a truly honest and respectable/respectful man, I needed to be honest to my parents and tell them the truth.

One night, after about half a year of smoking cigars, I finally told my parents about my moderate hobby for cigars, and everything you can think of that went bad happened. I lived in a family who detested smoking above all things and whose parents never had smoked before. They didn't support my smoking and wanted me to stop.

This was my impasse; But I held to my battle for my cigars. I was honest in my reasons for my special hobby, and a ray of hope shined forth as vague as it seemed. My mom, who was most disturbed about the confession as a mother does with only best interests, and I came at an ultimatum - that for now I stop smoking until I turned 21. She told me she still wouldn't support it then, and she told me she still would not like me to smoke, but she said she'll comply with my decision to continue then-after given I respect her wish for me to wait until I turn 21 and have most likely moved out the house by then.

My parents did thank me for my honesty after that night, and I do feel proud of myself that I no longer would have to hide from the people I love what I really liked to do.

I haven't smoked since the end of March, and my last cigar was a Drew Estates Liga Privada T-52 Toro. Since then, I haven't posted much since I really haven't been smoking much (or anything at all for that matter). Sometimes I would reminisce about being able to take an hour or two to myself and smoke... or being able to celebrate an accomplishment with a smoke... or being able to herf again with my BOTL and SOTL. I would read reviews on BOTL about the new smokes that come out month after month and try to resist the urge to just go back into hiding and start smoking again!

But I don't. :angel: I understand that my hiatus will not be in vain - I will, on June 2, 2012, be able to celebrate a triumph - a victory from a suppression and my end of an agreement - with a cigar. I look forward to that day smiling, knowing on this journey I may not able to smoke a cigar now, but like a good friend, nor time or distance, the cigar will be there for me to celebrate with me.

So I hope that to all my Brothers and Sisters of the Leaf on BOTL.ORG, that you all keep enjoying your smokes! That you all never forget to adore the aroma they present, and cherish the unique tastes they embody. When you don't smoke for a long time, the subtleties are what you miss the most. And for the Fathers and Sons that smoke cigars together out there, I really admire that connection because that's one I will never have with my dad.

I wonder if there are any other younger guys out there who've came out about their cigar passion to their nonsmoker parents or families... if so I'd like to hear your own stories.

Sincerely yours,
Aaron
From Sacramento, CA

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Fortunately for me Im a grown ass man! LoL....but to tell you the truth you are too since you turned 18. The fact that you live with your parents mean there house, there rules period. I guess you had no other choice and left with the option or ultimatum either stop smoking or leave is a no brainer. Sounds like your off to a good start man and be lucky to have parents who care so much about you, you seem to have good values & morals brotha its always good to here about positive people! I have to wait a few more weeks myself to start smoking again because of surgery I had and I can't wait to light up again. So I know it'll be worth the wait hang in there....Im pretty sure by the time you do crack that humidor you'll find one perfectly marinated waiting to be enjoyed!

Great Post!

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
I thought this would be a totally different story :rofl:

Good luck with the parents and hopefully they'll come to respect your hobby.

dpmrpa

Indiscriminate Bomber
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
U sound like a great young man. Cigars will still be around when u hit 21. If not pm me and I will be sure to send u a few.
I do remember you!!!

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I commend you on your honesty with your family, that took courage. The fact that they care and you respect them is a bond that's hard to find in today’s world. There's plenty of time to build upon this passion. Enjoy your time with them and the day will come when you are able to have that special cigar.

Last edited:

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I commend you on your honesty with your family, that took courage. The fact that they care and you respect them is a bond that is hard to find in today’s world. There's plenty of time to build upon this passion. Enjoy your time with them and the day will come when you able to have that special cigar.
Aaron, thanks for sharing your story my friend and best of luck in all of your endeavors!

stroke

Brian
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
I commend you on your honesty with your family, that took courage. The fact that they care and you respect them is a bond that's hard to find in today’s world. There's plenty of time to build upon this passion. Enjoy your time with them and the day will come when you able to have that special cigar.
I totally agree! You cannot put a price on integrity and loyalty! WTG, brother.

Billinois

The boss with the sauce
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I can relate to a certain degree man. My mom isn't crazy about my cigar smoking or the fact I like to enjoy a cold beverage now and then.

I will say this, though. She has mellowed about it over the years. I explained to her that you don't inhale the smoke and she has come to realize that I don't smoke cigars as much as my dad smokes cigarettes. The same goes with drinking: I have proven to her that having a few beers every now and then doesn't mean I go out every night and get loaded.

I think it's just a matter of her getting used to it. Your mom will eventually see how harmless your hobby really is, and it will become less of an issue.

I would look out on June 2, 2010 though. Your mailbox is bound to be annihilated and you'll probably have to buy a new humidor!

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Welcome back, Good for you by abiding by your parents rules. I remember being 18 hiding my smoking from my parents, but then again, it wasn't tobacco i was smoking. Cigars are a nice hobby but at your age you should be going out there and experiencing what is out there cigars will be here when you come back

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
"I commend you on your honesty with your family, that took courage. The fact that they care and you respect them is a bond that's hard to find in today’s world. There's plenty of time to build upon this passion. Enjoy your time with them and the day will come when you are able to have that special cigar."

Awesome Aaron - on your way to understanding what a real man is - kudos to you for honoring your parents - and as important, being a man of character

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
Welcome back first of all. 18 is a tough age and living at home under parent rules can be tough. just ask my 21 year old son. However honesty is always the best policy and I believe you did the right thing and showed your parents the respect they deserve. That being said you should also be alowed some respect and grow up with your own choices in life. It's hard being a parent (really hard) but I have learned that talking about things and comming to mutual understandings is what parents and kids need at your age. I hope your parents will let you decide what is right or wrong on this issue and see it could be worse. I totaly worry about what my son does when he's out with his friends but I don't sweat the beer or smokes as long as it doesn't lead to trouble, which it naver has. My son has quit some time ago with the cigeretts which I'm glad. But he did it on his own and I did not harp on him about it. Your parents love you and are just trying to look out for you the only way they know for now. Give them time and it will work out.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Older Brothers,

Thank you all for your warm sentiments and support. I will continue to do my best while looking forward to that day when I can once again light up a great cigar. With all due respect, I look up to all you fine gentlemen and ladies here on BOTL - truly this is a community built on respect and commodore the likes of a real family; this was part of my inspiration for my decision to tell my parents and family in the first place - that I wanted to grow up and act the way you all do... the way you all respect one another and each others opinions.

With that said.. thanks for taking the time to read my story - as long as it was. I am most humbled by the care and responses of you all. I can never forget you all. God bless.

Sincerely,
Aaron