What's new

My messed up experience - selling engagement ring

sportsmedjosh

CRA Member: 211528
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Well as you made have noticed I've been sparse on the board lately because my cigar buying came to a complete stop, I haven't purchased a box for two years and in the last two years have bought 8 cigars total, mostly just dipping into my stash whenever I wanted a smoke.

Well a while ago I purchased an engagement ring for a special lady, who said no a little two little to late, which is sad to hear, I got blamed for leaving Rhode Island and moving to Texas to finish my Ph.D., while in RI things were comfy I'll admit as I didn't have to pay for rent/utilities because I was a house director when I was finishing my master. So when I left that made her have to do and provide a lot for herself. So I constantly got told that I abandoned her.

Well when I popped the question she said no and then said yes, but she'd have to move with me abandoning medical school until I was done with my Ph.D., I said no way, that wouldn't be fair and I would feel extremely guilty.

Anyways we have a credit card that was join since we were in a relationship for 5 years and already decide to get married, we got in an argument and she broke it off when I was still in RI, a week later we were back together and decided to ask her again this is when she said no.

Well anyways she decided to use our credit card to pay her rent and also to take her friends out to buy them dinner, when I looked at my statement I saw friendly's for $60 taco bell $40 restaurants for $50, liquor store $90 etc.,

anyways she later came to visit me for a week for her bday things were great, she left and was like btw this changes nothing between us, left me in a WTF mind set.

Later on we talked and she asked if I was seeing anyone and I said no and asked her, she said no, then the next day send her a text and she is like hey btw have a new boyfriend, which sucks because I feel strung along. Also hit me as a big surprise is my credit card bill came and the min payment is like around $380 from her nice credit card charges.

So I'm going to be taking her off that credit card and looking to sell this engagement ring, what sucks is the place that I bought it from didn't have a return policy since it was a diamond broker. So now I'm looking for somewhere to sell this so I can at least catch up on some bills, since I had my credit cards on auto pay it dipped me negative.

Has anyone ever sold a diamond and what is the value you get back.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
That sucks, sounds like you are better off with out her, but that still stings a bit. My thoughts are to Ebay that ring with a fair Buy It Now price. Especially if you have the certification papers for it. Post pictures of the ring and the certs, then post a price as to what you want for it. Remember you have t pay Ebay a portion of the selling price.

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Sorry about your situation, and in my experience jewlery value drops 50% once it's out the door if you try to sell it back to a dealer. Your best bet is try to do a person to person sale, risky but you'll get more back than selling it to a jewler

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
That's f'ed up man...really f'ed up. Sorry to hear it. As for the ring...my experience is that you'll not get much for it unless you do something like dprice suggested.

Dan

Rating - 100%
104   0   0
That sucks Josh...

Been wondering where you went to.

As others have said... Craigslist, Ebay, hell, even classified ads are a good start, and jewelry does drop tremendously after it's purchased.

Best of luck brutha...

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Although not nearly as complicated as yours, I had a similar situation where I almost got married and had to sell the ring. Sorry to say that the value will be nowhere close to what you paid.

I strongly recommend selling it to a private party rather than to a retailer; who will have to pay you less in order to resell it.

Be careful in dealing with a private party, and post as many pics , certification docs, receipts, etc. as you can. Try Craig's List first....Less cost, and easier to post than Ebay.

Best of luck with the ring, and with getting that woman out of your mind and your life, Bro....Clearly you don't need someone who will respect you, support you, and treat you with honesty.

Best of luck :)

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Yeah be careful on Craigslist though. Ebay has recourse, and payment is made before you send the item. On Craigslist, you will most likely be meeting someone in person, who could promptly rob you. ON Ebay, you have money ion your hand before you sell it. Also in order to buy on ebay, you have to have an account there, which means they have all the buyers info as well as yours. That usually keeps people honest. CL is an avenue, but be sure you are meeting in a public place, NOT YOUR HOUSE, and the parking lot of a police station will keep a bad guy from showing up.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
My advice, go private party. If someone is interested but skeptical you can always take it to a Jeweler or appraiser and in the presence of the buyer have it valued. This should get you closer to what you paid for it rather than selling to a broker or jeweler direct. Some jeweler's offer consignment. But if you have to sell it pronto there are always pawn shops.

sportsmedjosh

CRA Member: 211528
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Thanks all, just snapped a couple pictures, just have an iphone so looking for a buddy who has a camera that can snap some pics for me. It's not anything to fancy

[ame]http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l220/joshavila/engagement%20ring/[/ame]

password, "botl"

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Man that's a rotten situation. I'm sorry to hear it brother but you can't keep a good man down! It may not feel that way now but you'll find your place sooner than you think.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terrible story.
On the bright side you still have your future to look forward to and you have the ring!!

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
Welcome back man! Wanna hang out? LOL!! Just kidding.

Buck up Bro, it could be much, much worse....you could have married a bitch.

I like Dave's idea too, and hopefully you can recover some funds, but more importantly I hope you can stay grounded and simply move on.

Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Sorry to hear, man. Now you know for the future, never, ever, ever mix finances before marriage! If you don't believe yet, watch a couple episodes of Judge Judy.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
So sorry to hear about this, Josh! I've had similar things happen to two friends, and in both cases the girl KEPT the ring and wouldn't give it back (1 of them only said yes so that she could keep the ring, and never intended to marry him).

This really sucks to be sure, but at least you can get something out of that ring.

Also, if it's a JOINT credit card, she is responsible for those charges too-- a joint card does not mean the guy is responsible for all charges. Tell her she needs to pay her portion of the bill, (or you can actually take her to court.)