What's new

My new Vinotemp Configuration

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to post my experiences with my frigador configuration and give back to the forums all the good information that I’ve learned from my other BOTL’s.

I spend a lot of time on the road and away from home. My wife of 22 years doesn’t gripe at my habit and I aim to keep it that way. For those of you that are married, there is nothing worse than putting unneeded stress on the spouse. Calling her from afar to tell you how much you miss her and following up by having her check how the stogies are sleeping every day doesn’t earn you cool poins. I wanted something very low maintenance that I could go away, even months at a time, and have her just poke her head on everything to ensure my babies are resting nicely.

I live in El Paso, and with the temperatures in the summer getting up around 110 at times, the humidity constantly hanging around 25%, I needed something that would keep my stogies at 65-70 degrees and not break the bank trying to cool the house in the summer to accomplish this feat.

The Vinotemp 28 Bottle was purchased at Target for $199. I truly believe it’s the most bang for your buck for its size unless you’re lucky to catch one on sale or pick up one second hand. It utilizes thermoelectric cooling. This is a good since from what I’ve read, long-term refrigeration and stogies isn’t a good thing. It sucks the moisture right out of your cigars. I’ve had no problems using the thermostat that comes with the systems to keep it at a constant 65 degrees. Do not trust the reading on the door with the vinotemp, it can be off by a few degrees.

I’ve got 3 temperature gauges inside and I use those to monitor the temperature. We’ll have to see how the vinotemp works in the heat of the summer where I keep the house at around 78 degrees. I’ll keep this post updated. So far, I’ve not had to use any type of external thermostat switch contraption. I’m using Oregon Scientific Thermo Clock RMR203HGA and two Oregon Scientific external temp/hyrgro sensors model THGR122NX

I purchased 5 strips of 3/8 thickness 4”X36” Spanish cedar from Woodcraft. After taking out the wine racks that come with the vinotemp out, I elected to cut each strip into two 15 and 1/8th across pieces. This will allow me to have two 4” deep boards per shelf and allow plenty of ventilation. After cutting my 5 strips, I know have 5 shelves.

I purchased 2 lbs of beads from Heartfelt Beads. Surface area is everything when it comes to beads so I got a few platters from the wife’s cupboards that are just about as wide as the Vinotemp. 1lb up top, and 1lb up top. Overkill but with beads it’s better to have overkill than not enough.

It’s probably even more of an overkill with my Hydra I picked up. Remember, not wanting to worry about those cigars while I was on the road. That is the idea. Active humidification shouldn’t even have to kick on that often with the beads, except to remoisten the beads and kick on after I open to grab a smoke. We’ll see how this combination works in the long run but I’ve talked with a few members here and many of them have this same configuration and they’re pleased with it.

I went ahead and got the Hydra Fan Kit which comes with a ribbon cable, a 3 way port, and one fan. I purchased an additional two fans to fill all three ports up. I’ve read on these forums of some other members using 3 pin 12V DC CPU/cooling fans bought at your local computer store that actually push more air. These fans, as part as the hydra kit, are VERY small and I was somewhat disappointed with their size. If I ever replace them, I’ll be getting larger ones. I utilized the fans to screw two of the boards together. Two facing down, 1 facing up, mounted on the underneath.

The Hydra’s DC adapter ribbon cable is fed through the left side of the door. I was afraid to drill out the drainage plug in fear of messing it up. I have not plugged up the drain plug. I believe, and will find out when it gets a little warmer, that keeping it open will combat condensation if that ever is a problem. There is currently only about a 5 degree temp difference between the room where the Vinotemp is stored in and inside Vinotemp temperature (65). This summer, it will surely get as high as 10-13 degrees so I’m going to leave my options open.

Some pictures of my desktop humidor and a couple of old empty cigar boxes I got to assist me in storage. Quantity is lacking but I hope to soon remedy this. I’ve got two cedar trays on order but they are on backorder until April.

JRL

Formerly known as Jeeper
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
Very nice set up. Someday I hope to do something similar.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Excellent pics and descriptions! But definitely overkill for your stash. :eyepoke:

Time to go to CBid :devilhead and fill 'er up!

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I love my wine cooler. Mine is a 26 bottle e-wave. II also use a combination of Active humidification and Beads well OK I use kitty litter for sake of cost. Mine has a different cooling unit and has not needed to kick on yet as we keep the house fairly cool. I'll get some picture up here someday.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Nice Job, please post and let us know how it does in the summer months. I have condidered this many times, and have almost bought one just for the cooler and thought about attempting to cut the back out of one of my 500 ct humis and try to put in the cooler.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I have condidered this many times, and have almost bought one just for the cooler and thought about attempting to cut the back out of one of my 500 ct humis and try to put in the cooler.

I would think this is an unnessesary step. Keep the 500 ct and convert the wine cooler into a seperate humidor.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I would think this is an unnessesary step. Keep the 500 ct and convert the wine cooler into a seperate humidor.
True, but I like the look of the humidor much better, I will probably end up trying one or the other sooner or later, right now I have my sticks inside humidors, inside a closet that I put an AC unit in, so I can keep them at 70 in the summer months. I need to bite the bullet and get one of those cooled DDD, but I cant bring myself to spend the money on it.

rick12string

Caught in the Crossfire
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I wanted to post my experiences with my frigador configuration and give back to the forums all the good information that I’ve learned from my other BOTL’s.

Some pictures of my desktop humidor and a couple of old empty cigar boxes I got to assist me in storage. Quantity is lacking but I hope to soon remedy this. I’ve got two cedar trays on order but they are on backorder until April.

It sounds great but I don't see any pictures. Do I have to change a setting in order to view them? I have had this problem with other posts but can't seem to correct it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Wine coolers can be had at Sam's or CXostco in the $200 range and $100 for a hygra and $60 for some beads and you are off and running. What ever you do, post pics.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
It sounds great but I don't see any pictures. Do I have to change a setting in order to view them? I have had this problem with other posts but can't seem to correct it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The pics are there and are there in your quaote.