What's new

My Palate is Shifting to The Dark Side

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was outside all day yesterday at a bike show so I had a chance to burn two cigars during what was a beautiful day. Started with a Rocky Patel Connecticut that had been sitting in my humi for a few months and after lunch I had a La Gloria Cubana Series N maduro that I picked up at a B&M the day before. I must say I was really bored with the RP as it had no flavor except a mild tobacco. The LGC was rich and full of great flavors and I think that was the moment that I realized my palate has shifted away from the mild, bland sticks. When I got home I looked up the LGC and saw it was listed as a full-bodied stick, something I have always shied away from, but I found it very easy to smoke and took it all the way down to the nub. While I know I am not ready for the most full bodied sticks, I am glad my palate has finally shifted allowing me to experience the wider variety of flavors that are out there!

BrittS88

Banned
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Full bodied= delicious full flavor. Full strength= lots of vitamin N. I love full bodied sticks and full strength sticks but that's just me lol.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Full strength can put me on my ass pretty quick. But full bodies I always love!

Eat big meals if you are going full strength

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Tastes change and when you're young you can taste things better than those who are older. Taste buds number around 10,000 in the human mouth and they are spread out over the tongue, cheeks, and even lips so we get a very impressive cross section of taste. As we get older they die off so our tastes will shift to things that tend to be stronger than when we were young. I changed over to maduros around 40 years old and tend to smoke full bodied cigars because of this change. Young smokers tend to identify with a mild to medium cigar because they can taste things better than us FOG's.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I love full bodied cigars, but found that I enjoy them best later in the day, after dinner and with my favorite beverage. Any more than one, however, and I can easily burn out my palette. If you're a 2+ cigar/day smoker, enjoy your mild-medium ones during the day, and save your heavier, full-bodied ones for last :)

Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Full bodied= delicious full flavor. Full strength= lots of vitamin N. I love full bodied sticks and full strength sticks but that's just me lol.

Trouble is - a lot of people don't make a distinction between flavor/body and nicotine strength. Be careful about that when reading reviews.

-Charles

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Trouble is - a lot of people don't make a distinction between flavor/body and nicotine strength. Be careful about that when reading reviews.

-Charles
Excellent point that tends to get overlooked because of hyped reviews. We have to remember that it's "our" taste buds and not the reviewers when we smoke a cigar. Hyped responses tend to sell product and cigars are no better or worse than any other product out there. Some cigars like wine are an acquired taste where over time they get better...thus the rest/aging approach. Can't tell you how many cigars I've overlooked because of this when I first tried them and didn't like them...only to smoke them again after months and then find that they are really very good.

Full bodied and strength with nicotine can be a road that isn't very easily traversed without having exposure to this....a good idea when smoking full body/strength cigars is to have some food before and keep a sweet drink nearby to counteract the effects of too much nicotine. Forewarned and being ready for this will help keep you from getting "nicotined" which can really ruin your day.

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0

-Charles
Excellent point that tends to get overlooked because of hyped reviews. We have to remember that it's "our" taste buds and not the reviewers when we smoke a cigar. Hyped responses tend to sell product and cigars are no better or worse than any other product out there. Some cigars like wine are an acquired taste where over time they get better...thus the rest/aging approach. Can't tell you how many cigars I've overlooked because of this when I first tried them and didn't like them...only to smoke them again after months and then find that they are really very good.

Full bodied and strength with nicotine can be a road that isn't very easily traversed without having exposure to this....a good idea when smoking full body/strength cigars is to have some food before and keep a sweet drink nearby to counteract the effects of too much nicotine. Forewarned and being ready for this will help keep you from getting "nicotined" which can really ruin your day.
<--- I have been nicotined and it can seriously ruin an entire 24 hours period haha. I have an LFD Chapter one sitting in my Humi that scares me to smoke. Letting it rest for a few years as it is pretty fresh.

Rating - 100%
107   0   0
When I was first getting into cigars about 6 years ago I fell for a sales call from Thompson and signed on for an auto-shipment of LFD Double Ligeo Chisels. I didn't know any better, they sounded so good, but I wasn't ready for the strength. One day I smoked one on an empty stomach when it was 95 out and got the spins so bad I puked. I cancelled the auto ship and it took me a couple years to try the remaining sticks I had and they were spectacular. Now I now to only smoke Nic bombs on a full stomach!

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
High nicotine drops your blood sugar so if you feel dizzy or nauseated, eat a couple of sugar packets or just a couple spoonfuls of sugar and your symptoms will go away 99 % of the time. Seriously, I know many guys who carry a couple of sugar packets in their travel humidors. Until you get used to a lot of ligero in your cigars, try this.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
High nicotine drops your blood sugar so if you feel dizzy or nauseated, eat a couple of sugar packets or just a couple spoonfuls of sugar and your symptoms will go away 99 % of the time. Seriously, I know many guys who carry a couple of sugar packets in their travel humidors. Until you get used to a lot of ligero in your cigars, try this.
Grated sugar does help, there's a line of no return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
welcome to the dark side... That is all I smoke, or should I say buy. I have been given some light wrapper cigars, but they taste harsh to me. Its gotta be maduro or at least a darker wrapper. I have 2 boxes of them "N" series in the humi and I am ordering some of the Black series today:)

SDShark

BoM May '14
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
This change happened for me about 6 months into my smoking when I tried my first Undercrown. I never looked back lol. Think of it this way, it's more cigars to smoke/trade now!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I primarily smoke maduros as well (and have really been digging the Serie N lately). Even when starting out with cigars I'd much preferred darker wrappers.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

-Charles

<--- I have been nicotined and it can seriously ruin an entire 24 hours period haha. I have an LFD Chapter one sitting in my Humi that scares me to smoke. Letting it rest for a few years as it is pretty fresh.
Lol....when you've been nicotined ( close to the feeling of being guillotined/garroted ) you almost swear off cigars forever. I smoked an Opus X A and had very little to eat that afternoon..took me 3 hours to smoke while sitting down in an overstuffed leather chair while drinking Drambuie. At the end of the 3 hour smoke I stood up and felt like there was an earthquake under me.....I was useless for the next 24 hours. As far as that LFD Chapter One...my advice is to get a saddle and ride that bastard.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0

-Charles

Lol....when you've been nicotined ( close to the feeling of being guillotined/garroted ) you almost swear off cigars forever. I smoked an Opus X A and had very little to eat that afternoon..took me 3 hours to smoke while sitting down in an overstuffed leather chair while drinking Drambuie. At the end of the 3 hour smoke I stood up and felt like there was an earthquake under me.....I was useless for the next 24 hours.
I've quit smoking a few times for a week or two, that's for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
This change happened for me about 6 months into my smoking when I tried my first Undercrown. I never looked back lol. Think of it this way, it's more cigars to smoke/trade now!
Mine was a Cromagnon mandible, and since there are only couple lighter ones I enjoy. Love the dark side!