What's new

My Shark is sick : (

R

RX2010

Well, I decided to make the transfer today. All of the sticks I want some age on went to the coolerdor today. Everything was going just fine until I got to t he one stick I wanted to hide away until graduation or something of similar significance, my Cameroon Shark.... :frown:

It has mold... unless plume forms in small fibrous spots

luckily (although it may have been the cause) it was in the cello, and none of my other preciouses were affected. Anyway, just wanted to let you know, pay attention to your children, or they go bad on you

I had a spot all picked out for it in my "I'm a Fuente whore box" with it's opus and anejo bretheren... oh well

AZsteelman

April 2006 BoM
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
What's your humidity reading? It must be high...get it down, man or that won't be the only one with problems...

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Post a picture, maybe we can tell what's going on with it.

What is your humidity and temp at? If you're forming mold you may be looking at high RH as the root factor.

R

RX2010

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
my digital is reading at about 68, the analog in the mid 70's

temp isn't over 66 or so (it's cold here)

R

RX2010

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I'll try to get a picture up later, my wife has the camera and isn't here at the moment

R

RX2010

Rating - 100%
197   0   0
no, it's on the cigar... I just meant the cello is probably what kept it from spreading to its neighbors

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
no, it's on the cigar... I just meant the cello is probably what kept it from spreading to its neighbors
Oh, gotcha now. You should be good as long as it isn't coming from the foot or didn't spread to the foot of the cigar. Just wipe it off but quarantine it if you can.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Has your hygro ever been calibrated or salt tested? Seems awfully low to start attracting mold. I've only seen mold form when the RH is above 70. But, I suppose anything is possible.

R

RX2010

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
mold is brushed, none on the foot, should be good to go...

I'm gonna throw it in a baggy and put it in the cooler

I should probably salt test the digital. I wanted to believe that it didn't require calibration as the box claimed, that's what I get for being lazy I guess

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Sucks had to be that hard to find Cameroon stick. Just be glad you found out early. Like others mentioned, better check the hygro and get your humidity down some even if you do not check it out. I prefer 64-65% for all mine and not had a problem with mold. Sticks smoke pretty well also. I do crack my unopened boxes and cabs once a month or so to ensure those babies are getting along. Expecially those closer to the Oasis as a cardboard box got damp once. Good lesson for us all.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Sucks had to be that hard to find Cameroon stick. Just be glad you found out early. Like others mentioned, better check the hygro and get your humidity down some even if you do not check it out. I prefer 64-65% for all mine and not had a problem with mold. Sticks smoke pretty well also. I do crack my unopened boxes and cabs once a month or so to ensure those babies are getting along. Expecially those closer to the Oasis as a cardboard box got damp once. Good lesson for us all.
My humiddor is at 65% and sometimes I still have this problem with Fuentes. Especially the ones with the cedar sleeve. Some say its a Fuente thing. I think its the cigar as well. Because its the only one that I get a slight case of Fuente mold. Luckily it can be brushed off and the cigar can be saved.

I did hear a lot of complaints as well as this years Anejos shipped and some were not in the best of condition.

R

RX2010

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I heard a lot of the regular Sharks were moldy from the factory this year, but only the sharks... so I dunno

as long as the whether does what it's supposed to today (58 and sunny) I'm gonna take care of it, see if it's worth getting another