What's new

Myspace

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I deleted my MySpace acct. because I had a company pull the damn thing up and for some reason they did not like what they saw...

oh well

derek

An OG with low post count
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
the company one of my friends works for, does a virgous search if you are a good canidate for hire. They will use any thing they find in thier decision in the hiring process. I agree with that practice too.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Many employers perform criminal background checks, credit checks, psycological and aptitude testing, and of course drug screenings when seeking potential employees. If you think they aren't typing your name and email address into Google to see what pops up, you're naive. Blog posts, forum posts, MySpace pages, and any number of things you type on the Internet can and likely will be used in a hiring decision. And of course with the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine, some things might end up being out there forever.

It shocks me what some of these kids post nowadays, especially on MySpace. A lot of those folks are in for a shock when they enter the professional workforce.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Yea but there is also a line to be drawn on how far is too far. Forums and myspace is something you would do on your leisure time and isn't related to company work.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Exactly.

Heck, I'd say that credit checks and psyc profiles are pushing it too far, but those have been standard practice for years.

For that matter, you can be discriminated against for SMOKING (smokers aren't an official protected group) so in theory, posting on THIS forum about smoking cigars--much less CCs--can give an employer a reason not to hire you.

Personally, I don't mind. After all, if an employeer is gonna use that sort of thing against me, I probably don't wanna work there anyways.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I was shocked that AFTER I signed a contract that I went through a psych evaluation. I forget the tests name but you basically place in order what is good to bad to you. I was like what in the heck is this nonsense. They came back with like an 80 page analysis of my personality. It scared the crap out of me. It was about 90% correct. The HR lady let me read it and asked me later how correct it was with a smile on her face. I'll try to find it later and look up the test name. It's hard to believe they can break you down like that. Let's hope HeadBanger doesn't have to take one of these tests anytime soon. :stretchgr :wink:

MithShrike

Yerba mate for life.
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used to have an account but I found it to be a waste of my time and my friends would sometimes get all huffy about the silly shit I would post.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I gotta disagree with ya bro. I know lots of people that are professional at work but like to let loose on the weekends. Nothing wrong with that.
I am a very good example of that. Not that I go crazy on the weekends but....

MithShrike

Yerba mate for life.
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got one again because it's just about the only way I can get my little sister to call me... I keep it completely work friendly unless they don't want smokers.