What's new

Myth Busters – Relative Humidity

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Over the last 4 days the sticks lost some weight huh?
They all feel ok to the touch still, but technically speaking they've lost some water weight, does this make them actually "drier" or is the temperature difference effecting that?

CheapHumidors

Your resident HumiDork
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should teach in our science department :applause: I definitely look forward to seeing results of your experiment!

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
Over the last 4 days the sticks lost some weight huh?
They all feel ok to the touch still, but technically speaking they've lost some water weight, does this make them actually "drier" or is the temperature difference effecting that?
Starting point: 69% RH @ 69 degrees 32.4 grams
3/10/2010 : 66% RH @ 94 degrees 32.2 grams

Slightly lower RH = slightly less weight. The temperature difference seem negligible considering the small weight difference so it looks like temp doesn't come into play. Makes sense so far. Awaiting more results, good stuff Mitch.

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Strife, I was talking from the 6th-10th.
they were at 33.x down to 32.2
try took in a lot of moisture, then lost it again.

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
Strife, I was talking from the 6th-10th.
they were at 33.x down to 32.2 try took in a lot of moisture, then lost it again.
Sorry Dan not sure why I even quoted you, my reply was actually an observation of what's happened since day one. It's going to be difficult for Mitch to get accurate results with daily changes, the cigars really need more time at each stage to properly acclimate, but it's sure cool as hell watching this
progress. Thanks again Mitch.

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
First post updated and condensed a bit, I'll leave follow up post to cover the conversation.

The cigars have settled to basicly where they started. I think the most intresting and suprizing part for me so far is that in a sealed container the air will suck the moisture out of the cigar when temperature goes up. Once I added beads (and moisture) things stablaized again. I think I have been far understimating the signifigance of temperature swings in units that do not have temperature control.

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
only # 2s band is snug since day 2... all others have become a bit loose?
Is cigar #2 feeling significantly different then the others (compared to day 1, and the Control version)

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
only # 2s band is snug since day 2... all others have become a bit loose?
Is cigar #2 feeling significantly different then the others (compared to day 1, and the Control version)
I'm not sure the snug test is a good one, I may have altered it by checking the bands day to day, and since Cigar No.2 is a figurado, I may have moved the band up or down a bit and changed things as well. I wouldn't read into this too much, they cigars did noticably shring when they dried out and lost weight at the begining of the test, but other than that, they have been close enough to start to call them the same.

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
Mitch, any problems with beetles?
No sign yet, but with the life cycle of the beetle being what it is, Even if an egg hatches I'm not sure it will even be noticed before it is smoked.

What I'm curious about now is what will happen with the Oasis. Humidity has dropped a tiny bit, but the Oasis lost some weight. I have to open the container to weigh the cigars and Oasis, so I know some moisture is getting out, but if the oasis keeps dropping weight, that will mean it gives off water at some rate, even if very slow even when it is not run.

Last edited:

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
First Post Updated.

Cigars drying out a bit so I put the beads back in. Oasis is loosing weight, so if this trend keep up, it looks like it will slowly release humidity regardless of if it is needed or not. Does anyone know if the Oasis runs once in a while automaticly to test the air? If so, it probably releases even more when it's turned on.

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
First Post Updated.

Cigars drying out a bit so I put the beads back in. Oasis is loosing weight, so if this trend keep up, it looks like it will slowly release humidity regardless of if it is needed or not. Does anyone know if the Oasis runs once in a while automaticly to test the air? If so, it probably releases even more when it's turned on.
The oasis does not run to test the air... the censor is in that lumpy vent on the right side of it... It just tests it all the time, and when it drops... it turns on.

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
You got the oasis plugged in with the beads in there now Mitch?

I know the oasis will not function as it should in a small space... just realized this... as it happened to me a while back during some testing I did.
It will give false readings of high humidity, and keep it's self from turning on...

What I think happens, is that when it does turn on for just a few seconds, the oasis floods it's little chamber with humidity, and the censor reads that for quite a while.
That small chamber that it has where the censor is, does not get much circulation without the fan running....

I'll bring mine to your house so you can see how it is on the inside, as I already took the time to open it up (pain in the ass!!)

PLUSH

Some random brother
Rating - 100%
231   0   0
Mitch,

What is the overall test? I'm not seeing that under the "experiment" part. Are you checking with different humidity or temperatures? What are your temps for each test? then one I did in the past had temps at 0, 65, and 95, with the same humidity (68-70).

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Mitch,

What is the overall test? I'm not seeing that under the "experiment" part. Are you checking with different humidity or temperatures? What are your temps for each test? then one I did in the past had temps at 0, 65, and 95, with the same humidity (68-70).
he has one set (control) in his humidor. Temp controlled to under 70.
He has the experimental set, in Tupperware, on top of his DVR cable box, at over 90 degrees.

And using beads/oasis to keep the humidity stable.

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
The oasis is not plugged in, I want to see how much moisture it looses if not needed. it dosn't look like lots, but if your humidor is well sealed, it will creep up your RH even if it dosn't run. Makes sense out of problems I had with mine way back when I got it. I don't actualy still use it.

Main test is to see if cigars at 90+/68 and at 68/68 humidify and smoke the same. If so the belief that diffirent temperatures requires diffirent RH's is busted IMO. Also, learned a couple things along the way, first is that in a sealed container, if heat it up with cigars in it, the cigars will dry out. Same amount of water vapor in the container, but the air holds more by taking it from the cigars.

From that I believe that temperature swings are much more of a problem than I understood them to be. Beads that can take humidity out of the air seems to be showing a clear advantage over the Oasis right now.

Still a few days to go to smoke time, that will be intresting. Hey Danilo, want to be a tester?

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Do I want to be a tester? Absolutely. I will be one of the guinea pigs for this experiment if you will have me.

Are you gonna do blind test? only you know which cigar is from where... and compare without the knowledge of the cigar being stored at 90 degrees plus, what most consider a "harsh" environment.