What's new

Napa Valley (Wine Country)

Kidrock

Smoking 50RG Less W/Farai
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Greetings All,

It’s been awhile since I’ve posted..for that life, work, graduate school, and personal life have been very busy. My lady friend and I wanted to go out to Napa Valley for a few days of fun. I was wondering what airport is the most convenient (we will be renting a car). I was just looking for advice on flying into, what winery to see and maybe a nice place to stay. I love BOTL. Keep smoking my friends.

Last edited:

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Greetings All,

I love the asylum.

Keep smoking my friends.
Oops!

Post above is correct, Oak or SFO is just an hours drive to Napa. There are many places to stay in the area so recommendations are pretty subjective as we have no idea what kind of budget you are talking about, what you consider nice, or what you like. I personally prefer to spend my money on wine, restaurants, hot air balloon ride etc rather than on a nice hotel where I won't be that often. When I will be there, I have a major wine buzz and will be just in the bed with the wifey anyway! LOL

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
One more vote for Oakland, unless you want an excuse to drive over the Golden Gate bridge - then you would want to fly into SFO.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Oakland will be less crowded, but they have fewer flights there, so have the option for either OAK or SFO when pricing tickets.

The Napa area is beautiful, but very expensive. Most wine tastings will run $25 and up. I much prefer next door Sonoma county. Lots of great wineries (many with free tastings), beautiful scenery, nice lodgings and excellent restaurants. Fewer crowds and less snobbery.

One favorite city is Healdsburg. It has top notch places to eat ... Cyrus (more formal / expensive), Zin (casual / mid price) and Ravenous (eclectic + fun). Another great place nearby to eat (and stay) is the Farmhouse Inn @ Forestville.

Too many great wineries there to list ... just depends on what wine varietal you like. Also, Napa is only about 40 min away so you can always drive there and drop your dollars.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
check out the Shafer winery. Love me some Shafer wine. It's on the expensive side, but it's NEVER disappointing.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Good info so far. First off, go to SFO. Its a little south of the city but will give you the choice of visiting SF either before or after and going over the golden gate is a must if you haven't don't so. Forget Oakland, yes it may be cheaper but less scenic and you're on vacation so at least be accessible to SF if you have the time. If you're not totally set on spending your whole time up in wine country, I'd definitely spend a day in SF. Ride the cable cars, drive down lombard st, etc etc if you haven't done so.

When you guys decided Napa, I'm assuming it was for visiting wineries primarily. Lots of good restaurants there with nice lodging all really depend on what you're budgeting. Like Ted mentions, unlike the days of old, most wine tastings cost anywhere from $10 and up with some library tastings north of $75. If there are any specific wineries you want to visit, make sure you check to see if you need to make a reservation or appt, and if they're even open to the public now require that (you can always make them day of but you don't want to be disappointed just in case), and be aware of any tasting costs. Being in the industry always helps as tastings are free and with most wineries you get a decent discount. Sonoma is more accessible and less "grand" if you will and they're more Chard/Pinot whereas Napa is heavily Cab.

We always stay at the Carneros Inn as they're in between Napa and Sonoma and you get your own little cottage if you will. We love the Boon Fly Cafe and Farm which are both on site. It is on the higher side so if you like you say, if you want to go economical for your stay, that may not be the place but if you're going out there, I say why not. There are many b&b's up there and since you'll have a car, everything is a drivable distance up there.
And the Fremont Diner, even if you're not staying there, is a great place for fantastic home cooked breakfast and lunch. Yountville has the French Laundry as well as Ad Hoc which are both T Kellar's places. If you want to do the French Laundry though, make reservations well (I mean like 1 month minimum) in advance. I agree with Ted on Healdsburg. Fun town and I had one of my most memorable meals at Cyrus. There are actually a couple of smaller inns right in the town square there. G1

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you plan on visiting the downtown Napa area, there are great restaurants and you can come visit Baker Street Downtown, Napa Valley's Tobacconist & Lifestyle store. We have a great selection of cigars and a smoking patio and lounge inside.
We're at 1018 1st Street (at Main), Napa. Stop by and see us!

Warm Regards,
Heidi Aden
Office Manager
Baker Street Downtown
(707) 255-4434

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I always forget about downtown napa. There are a couple of great food trucks right across the street from the wine train. Again, a little more upscale and more "cityish" than further north. Didn't know about the tobacco shop. did eat at the Morimoto's there (definitely not as good as Philly). G1

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
My wife and I just got back a couple weeks ago. We stayed in Calistoga - Cottage Grove Inn Cottages - HIGHLY recommend these cottages. We flew into San Fancisco and had no issues. If you can get away for a day, drive over to Point Reyes Station and check out the town before going into Point Reyes National Seashore park. Go to the lighthouse and see if you can spot some whales. They are in migration right now. If you do, make sure you take a route that takes you along the Tomales Bay. The countryside and views are beyond breath taking.

Robert Mondavi has a good wine basics 101 tasting geared towards "beginners". Sterling has a nice view of the valley and you get to take a tram up to the winery.

For food, if you like burgers you should stop at Gott's Roadside. Burgers and garlic fries are fantastic. I hear their fish tacos are good too. Burger at Brannan's in Calistoga was very good. Dinner at Rutherford Grill was excellent! English muffins at the Model Bakery in St. Helena were very good and have been featured on several tv shows.

Let me know if you have any questions or would like more specifics about the trip.

Last edited:

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
Oakland will be less crowded, but they have fewer flights there, so have the option for either OAK or SFO when pricing tickets.

The Napa area is beautiful, but very expensive. Most wine tastings will run $25 and up. I much prefer next door Sonoma county. Lots of great wineries (many with free tastings), beautiful scenery, nice lodgings and excellent restaurants. Fewer crowds and less snobbery.

One favorite city is Healdsburg. It has top notch places to eat ... Cyrus (more formal / expensive), Zin (casual / mid price) and Ravenous (eclectic + fun). Another great place nearby to eat (and stay) is the Farmhouse Inn @ Forestville.

Too many great wineries there to list ... just depends on what wine varietal you like. Also, Napa is only about 40 min away so you can always drive there and drop your dollars.
was waiting for you to chime in!! :applause:

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Either airport works. Just depends on the time of day. I like the Silverado. Nice rooms and great golf. There are condos available through various rental sites for days or weeks at good rates. Wineries- Duckhorn, Steltzner, Stags' Leap, and Chandon (champagne), are a few of my wifes favorites. Chandon has lovely grounds, food etc.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cottage Grove Inn, Carneros Inn and French Laundry! Been there, done that, recommend it! :skew: