What's new

NC and Maduro Aging questions (yeah, more)

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
Since finding this great site, I have succeeded in accumulating a small stash that allows me to enjoy a smoke or two a day and still keep a good portion aside. I recently purchased a box of RASS and am eagerly awaiting it’s delivery although I am going to do my best to keep the box sealed until at least ’09 or ’10.

Anyhow this got me thinking about the question of aging NCs and Maduros specifically. I understand the general wisdom that the Maduro wrapper has been artificially aged (or “cooked”) and as such, not subject to much advantage in the aging process. But what I don’t understand is why this has been deemed for the whole cigar. The filler leaf has not been cooked, has it? And would be subject to the same mellowing and release of ammonia as any other tobacco.

What experience has anyone had regarding aging of, say PAMs or P26Ms, or other NC Maduros. I thought I might like to put down a few LGC Serie Rs and some P3ks if they would benefit.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I smoked an OR Anejo 48 a couple of months ago, and I did not notice a significant difference between that and the ones I most recently bought this past year. Then again, these cigars have been aged prior to being sold anyway.

Opus X on the other hand needs at least 3 years of age to mellow out and become a great stick - otherwise they are a bit harsh (IMO). The exceptions would be Forbidden X or Perfection A. Those babies are ready to torch when you buy them.

I have not smoked any aged PAM's, but that is probably because I think they taste fantastic upon purchase. I do have a box of 5 PAM's chilling out in the humi that I don't plan on smoking anytime soon.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Well when we're speaking of aging usually the longer the better. When people talk about aging cuban cigars you hear of MRN talking about MINIMUM levels of 5 years on alot of vitolas....10-15 being better. Those 3K's may have been sittin around for a while, and the maduro only adds to that. But I've heard of many brothers who age their 3K's for a year and say they are much better. Just my .02. I've had 3K's that have been sittin in the humi for 8 months and I can already pick up flavors I didn't when they were fresh off the truck. You should try some fresh and let some sit for a year or two to see if your palate agrees.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maduros DO benefit from aging. Not to start a debate with pharmgator, I find the Anejos in particular benefit immensely from sleeping for at least 1-2 years. YMMV.

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
I was discussing this subject in relation to another thread awhile back and talked about some experimenting I did with NC's. Most seem to benefit, some in as little as three months. Others take a year or more. I have actually experimented with NC's other than those mentioned in the thread and the results were not markedly different. I did not go beyond 12 months in any of the testing I did.

I think the big issue is that in general, NC tobaccos are already aged to some degree by the time they are rolled and placed in the pipeline. The Padron Anniversario line is aged for four years before it is rolled. I recently smoked two Principe Naturals; one from 2001 and the other from 2004. Both were excellent although I could discern almost no difference between the two.

Generally speaking, I find that of the few NC's I smoke, most benefit from at least short rest periods in the humidor, say 3 - 6 months.

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
Ah, now that's something I didn't consider... that NC tobacco is often aged before rolling, at least lately it seems I see "aged 12 months" etc on some of the NCs I've been smoking. That would definitely make a difference. I was reading MRN when I got to wondering about this and never considered that Cuban tobacco might be rolled into the sticks earlier. I will definitely put some of my 3ks down for awhile and then do an experiment: buy some new ones and smoke one of each on consecutive nights to see if I can tell a difference.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I bought a box of Punch Rothschild Maduro's in 1999. I smoked them every once in awhile until I finally ran out in 2003. Let me just say that they were not the same cigar in 2003. They became very smooth and creamy. I think that Maduros can definitely benefit from the aging process.

AZsteelman

April 2006 BoM
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I'm just now smoking some 3K Maddies I have had for about 11 months...they are out of this world. When my inventory allows me to do so, I let them sit for about 6 months minimum...

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Cigars are meant to be enjoyed. If you think that a cigar will improve over time, let it sleep.Otherwise burn them now.

I personally think that if a cigar tastes more "starchy" than "sweet", I will let it age. I have found that works for my tastes.

Sweet cigars are ready now, and haven't had much improvement in the last couple of years.