What's new

NC to CC Convertion Chart ????

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I have noticed that many of the questions on here relate to people wanting recommendations on what CC to buy. I also wondered the same thing many times, so and idea popped into my head. What if there is a place where I can see what CC to try based on what NC I like to smoke?

So for example, if I am a big fan of La Flor Dominicana Mysterio, and have tried a Cuban Bolivar that I think has a similar flavor profile to the LFD, then I would post here something like "If you like LFD Mysterio, then you should try Bolivar."

I know that there are inherent problems with this since same type of tobbaco tastes different based on location. So ligero from DR taste different from ligero from Nicaragua and ligero from Cuba. I also understand that for some people it is sacriligious to compare NC to a CC. This is not a comparison about which is better. This is simply a guide comparing similar flavor profiles. I know that when people here recommend a CC, they are trying to be helpful. But without a point of reference to sometime else, it is hard for a person to put the recommendation into context.

So we need the help of those experienced with CC and also NC. So please list a CC and then indicate which NC has a similar flavor profile and strenght. Lets give this a try !!!

So if you are inclined to do so, please post, letting us know what Havanos you have tried along with non-cubans with similar flavor profiles.

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Yup, buy samplers and try them out for yourself. That is honestly the only way you will ever know what you like.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I've personally not found any two that taste enough alike to where I could realistically give an if:then statement about it.

That's why you have so many BOTLS mostly on one side of the fance or the other... the flavor profiles are so different from one another.

Also... know, in advance, that every time you link 2 together...... 5 people are going to chime in to disagree because taste is so subjective.

My .01...

Cheers! :cbig:
...totally agree.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've personally not found any two that taste enough alike to where I could realistically give an if:then statement about it.

That's why you have so many BOTLS mostly on one side of the fance or the other... the flavor profiles are so different from one another.

Also... know, in advance, that every time you link 2 together...... 5 people are going to chime in to disagree because taste is so subjective.

My .01...

I am kind of expecting that. I still think this is better than to ask people to say which is better !!

smokem94

BoM Sept. 05
Rating - 100%
147   0   0
Roxborough Park CO, Soon to be Wapiti, Wyoming

My .01...

TOTALLY agree!!!

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
As stated above...You will get 10 different answers from 10 different palates on this one!

Just start grabbing 5'ers and see what YOUR palate enjoys, and then what YOUR palate deems as similar.

And....Have a ton of fun in the proccess!! :)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What he said.
Call me naive, but I find that hard to believe. I am not comparing quality here. BUT there has to be similarities in flvor profiles between NC and CC. There just have to be. Again, not turning this into CC vs NC, just saying that some flavors have to be similar.

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
Call me naive, but I find that hard to believe. I am not comparing quality here. BUT there has to be similarities in flvor profiles between NC and CC. There just have to be. Again, not turning this into CC vs NC, just saying that some flavors have to be similar.
Ok, you are naive.

Seriously, they are two different animals. Kind of like trying to compare a merlot to a Pinot noir, can't do it.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Many people have tried the same thing you are doing. I have. No one wants to say it, but we would go apeshit if there was a true comparable cigar. I think, just my thoughts, is that people WANT them to be different animals. However, I have found in my search, the Viaje Summerfest was close to a Partagas Serie D No. 4. A lot of people would disagree. Again, I thought it was CLOSE. But truly, it can't compare. Those crafty Cubans, when they nail it, there is a fineness and complexity that just isn't matched.

So, if I were to suggest a side by side comparison, I would suggest the PSDN4 and the Summerfest so you can see both the similarities, and the differences.

On the subject of trying to be comparable. Take the Habana Leon so graciously bombed to me by CWS. Pepin gave it the same band, the same shade wrapper and supposedly intended it to be similar. It's not even close. And if the Don can't do it. No one can. Anything that does get close is going to be pure luck.

Thegreekone

Banned
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
I love non-CCs. I think it is common knowledge that I love Tats, Liga, and Illusione/Eperneys, and Viaje....and many more.

THAT SAID, the quality of the tobacco, richness, and complexity of CCs are completely different and unique. In my mind, a newb on both fronts, CCs hit a special place in me that says "wow, this is what a cigar is capable of and should be."

Again, I love non-CCs and this isn't an either or. In fact, I think I appreciate CCs that much more because I smoked a lot of NCCs before ever hitting a CC.

My world was rocked.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
I humbly disagree.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
What you are asking would be similar to asking if there is a Bordeaux wine that matches a California Cabernet sauvignon or one from Australia. Different creatures all together even though they are all made from the same grape.

Yes you can like both for what they are. Just enjoy the differences.

Might you be asking for a stronger smokes in Cuban and nonCuban you could draw a comparison there, but flavors not so much.

Zedman05

Fiend4theLeaf
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I am another person on the "can't pinpoint similarities between CC and NC". They are different, they are your interpretation and they can both be really good or really bad. Try some out, if you find bad CC's it was most likely a fake or rolled badly. I tend to stick with NC's as they are less than half the price, and I can be satisfied just as much most of the time on a smaller budget.
Good luck.

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
I'll indulge you.

N/C
I like Tat Reds, GH Tres Siglos, complex sweet spice filled Dominicans & Padron 64s
I dislike Camachos, many sun growns & Opus

Cuban
I like Ramon Allones, Rey Del Mundo, younger Cohibas & Montecristos with a strong mocha flavor.
I dislike Upmanns unless extremely aged, most Romeos and Montes with the tangy fruit flavor

Comparisons -
Tat Reds are a milder, fruity Tatuaje (think a bit of connecticut crispness). I like them, a lot. I do not like the Cuban Monte when it displays a similar, tangy fruit flavor. The flavor is similar in style, but different in actual taste. Its like having a similarly seasoned beef steak & venison steak. They're both red meat but on opposite ends of the spectrum. A piece of venison that has a slight gamy flavor that you seek out & enjoy. Steak that's gamy has sat out of the fridge for too long and is not a good thing.

The Gran Habano Tres Siglo (or whatever its been renamed as...) is the best cigar from the Rico clan. Tons of deep rich tobacco flavor with a stewy strawberry sweet core. Romeos from Havana are renowned for their deep rich tobacco & stewed fruit flavors. The sweetness is evident but not overwhelming, yet I still do not enjoy it. In the 3Sig, I find it to be the best flavor in the entire cigar.

The moral of the story is that all of the above posters are on to something. Havanas & new age premiums are different, very different. It's easy to draw similarities but difficult to completely substantiate them. Enjoy the ride. This will be the best "studying" you've ever done.