What's new

Need a new dishwasher

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Our Maytag dishwasher took a dump...again. It's looking like $380 in parts alone for me to fix it. Considering the track record and the cost, I'm looking for a replacement that is NOT built by Whirlpool Corp. I'm tired of fixing their lemons. My house if full of them.

Any recommendations on brands? I see Electrolux, Bosch, and LG should be options. Experience? Best bang for the buck?

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
We have the double stack of Fisher & Paykel drawers for main kitchen duty. While the idea is brilliant, they've required numerous repairs and one total replacement over the past 12 years.

We also have two fullsize dishwashers that are only used occasionally. I'll need to check the brands when I get home, but they've both been flawless. I'm not sure if that's a reflection of their quality or intermittent use.

ETA: I believe the nicer of the two is a Bosch.

Last edited:

CAJoe

King Dude
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
When I moved into my new house last year I got a Bosch 8000 and absolutely love it. It is extremely quiet and does the job well. I did a lot of research before buying it and it has always got great marks and is bullet proof. Granted I have not had it that long but It is better then anything I have had before.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I work for lowes delivering these things. From everything i have heard from sales and customers, bosch for the win. Next would be lg.
Just sayin... good luck!

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Go with the Bosch 8000 series. While it is a little expensive, it’s well worth the money. Half the time I don’t even know it’s running except for the light it projects on the ground. Have had mine 2 years and not a single problem and we do a lot of dishes.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Bosch...have had experience with GE (crap) Whirlpool (crappier) Maytag (used to be great...not so much anymore) and if you plan on living in your house for at least 6 years...get the Bosch. Appliances in the last 10 years are mostly plastic parts and are not designed to last as they used to. ...ensure a stainless steel interior and a water blaster that distributes the water accordingly (esp. if you have low water pressure in your house)... can't get dishes clean if pressure is weak. .BTDT!

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Thanks guys. Sure sounds like Bosch is the favorite here. I was looking at them and they have the food filter in them. How are those? Do they get stinky?

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Most do which is why they have cleaners to dissolve those nasty food particles ....Finish is one product that works pretty well but doing an empty load with a cup of white vinegar in adishwasher-safe container on the upper rack of the machine. Run the dishwasherthrough a hot-water cycle. This will wash away grease and grime and remove musty odors, .. .. . I do this every month.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Our Maytag dishwasher took a dump...again. It's looking like $380 in parts alone for me to fix it. Considering the track record and the cost, I'm looking for a replacement that is NOT built by Whirlpool Corp. I'm tired of fixing their lemons. My house if full of them.
Any recommendations on brands? I see Electrolux, Bosch, and LG should be options. Experience? Best bang for the buck?
'2015 Maytag victim here as well. $450 if I wanted to fix a $650 , 13 month old fridge. Still looked brand new. Yep. A rebadged WhirlPoop. Never Again.

Can't advise on the dishwasher. But the Frigidare fridge has had a better run so far.

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
'2015 Maytag victim here as well. $450 if I wanted to fix a $650 , 13 month old fridge. Still looked brand new. Yep. A rebadged WhirlPoop. Never Again.

Can't advise on the dishwasher. But the Frigidare fridge has had a better run so far.
ughhh...now I need to unload. Here's my list of appliance woes. Everything was new when we moved into our new house in 2012. All the Maytag appliances were purchased at a "real" appliance store.
  1. Maytag...Dishwasher...Blew computer board at second use...fixed under warranty...blew computer board again in 2019
  2. Maytag...Refrigerator...Needed new ice maker in 2018...fixed out of pocket myself
  3. Maytag...Washing Machine...pulley fell off in 2016, needed to be reattached...fixed out of pocket (service call)
  4. Maytag...Dryer...Bearing froze up on the belt idler pulley, belt fell off, 2018...jesus...everything is riveted together...what a bitch to replace...fixed out of pocket myself
  5. Maytag...Microwave...Stopped heating in 2016...replaced out of pocket myself
  6. Lennox...gas furnace...flame would stop intermittently in 2015...fixed myself with some youtube help and a $75 pressure sensor
  7. Frigidaire...dehumidifier...computer board blew 2017...replaced myself out of pocket
I hate appliances. Especially when I think of the appliances I grew up with. Mom and dad never had to replace the range, refrigerator, washer and dryer, etc. Stuff used to last forever. Its just shit now.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
ughhh...now I need to unload. Here's my list of appliance woes. Everything was new when we moved into our new house in 2012. All the Maytag appliances were purchased at a "real" appliance store.
  1. Maytag...Dishwasher...Blew computer board at second use...fixed under warranty...blew computer board again in 2019
  2. Maytag...Refrigerator...Needed new ice maker in 2018...fixed out of pocket myself
  3. Maytag...Washing Machine...pulley fell off in 2016, needed to be reattached...fixed out of pocket (service call)
  4. Maytag...Dryer...Bearing froze up on the belt idler pulley, belt fell off, 2018...jesus...everything is riveted together...what a bitch to replace...fixed out of pocket myself
  5. Maytag...Microwave...Stopped heating in 2016...replaced out of pocket myself
  6. Lennox...gas furnace...flame would stop intermittently in 2015...fixed myself with some youtube help and a $75 pressure sensor
  7. Frigidaire...dehumidifier...computer board blew 2017...replaced myself out of pocket
I hate appliances. Especially when I think of the appliances I grew up with. Mom and dad never had to replace the range, refrigerator, washer and dryer, etc. Stuff used to last forever. Its just shit now.
Shit it is. Latest appliance fix with me was our GE Microwave. Just a $100 full size Walmart thing. About a year old. Started intermittently going dead. Issue was a flame sensor that the terminals were rocking on. "Open" condition shuts it down. Ebay $5 . Funny thing was, it had these specialty cover screws. But once I got the cover off, block diagram listing the ( door / switch/ cooking bay ) switches and schematics were inside. Continuity test made this a fast kill.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
It is sad to say that no appliances (or anything for that matter) are made to last. I laugh when i take a 20 year old fridge out of somebodies house and they say "hopefully i can get another 20 out of this one" not gonna happen. Appliance lifespan has dropped to 5-7 years. It seems like a rip off, but with this being said, get the extended warranty on appliance. Usually 5 years, manufacturer warranties drop at 1 year. I can not tell you the number of 3 or 4 year old appliance i haul out of houses. Things that would be fixed under the warranty. And lowes will replace it if it can not be fixed undee their warranty.

BigSkySmoke

Lanceros, Cowgirls and Burritos
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
It is sad to say that no appliances (or anything for that matter) are made to last. I laugh when i take a 20 year old fridge out of somebodies house and they say "hopefully i can get another 20 out of this one" not gonna happen. Appliance lifespan has dropped to 5-7 years. It seems like a rip off, but with this being said, get the extended warranty on appliance. Usually 5 years, manufacturer warranties drop at 1 year. I can not tell you the number of 3 or 4 year old appliance i haul out of houses. Things that would be fixed under the warranty. And lowes will replace it if it can not be fixed undee their warranty.
Yep this. We remodeled the kitchen and went all LG with the 5 year warranty. I know they are shit and gonna fail, but i didnt care what she pick as long as it had the warranty...

Dealing with HD/Lowes on warranty repairs is a whole differen nightmare. May you choose wisely!

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Yep this. We remodeled the kitchen and went all LG with the 5 year warranty. I know they are shit and gonna fail, but i didnt care what she pick as long as it had the warranty...

Dealing with HD/Lowes on warranty repairs is a whole differen nightmare. May you choose wisely!
A lot of the waranty depends on the store. Some are more hard ass than others. Ours gives in if you threaten to send in a bad review.

CAJoe

King Dude
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
When I was shopping for some appliances for my home I was talking to a guy who has sold appliances for a long time. He was talking about how all the energy and water management that is put into the devices to make them "smart" and power and water saving is what is destroying them so fast. Instead of running wide open and being bullet proof now they are fragile and little spec of dust away from breaking down.