What's new

Need a travel case recommendation

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
This December me and the wife will finally be taking our honeymoon and first vacation ever without our kids!!! I figure I will need to bring somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 to 60 cigars with me and am looking for some thoughts on cases.

First up the cheap option is always something like this - Black Ops 40-Count Travel Case. I like this option because is't inexpensive and I need to start stockpiling cigars for the trip, but it's at the absolute minimum end of the size spectrum I need. I could always remove the foam inserts and lay the cigars on top of each other, but that worries me a small bit :(

The next size up would be something like the Xikar 280XI which says it holds 50-80 cigars which would right what I'm looking for but it's also like 3 times the cost.

Any thoughts?

MoJo

BoM March 2013
Rating - 100%
192   0   0
You might want to look into a tupperware solution, possible add your own foam if you wanted extra protection

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Ive owned both the blackwatch and the xikar...

the xikar is much better built and is a much nicer case... but...

the blackwatch is MORE THAN ENOUGH protection and seal to accomplish just about anything you would want to do... I took mine all over the globe (on some super rough flights into some very austere locations where it got the hell beat out of it).. on trips lasting as long as 3 weeks.... it performed flawlessly.. and a single boveda 65 kept everything nice and fresh for the entire trip.... I later bombed the case out to a good friend of mine (and fellow board member here).. who promptly took the case to Afghanistan.. where it continues to serve its intended purpose without any problems at all...

I wouldnt recommend you purchasing the blackwatch case from CI though... the list price at fieldsupply is slightly cheaper... but more importantly.. fieldsupply normally puts these cases on sale a couple of times a year... I picked mine up for $19.00... if you have until december before you have to make a purchase.. I'd just watch their site and try to grab one the next time the put them on clearance..

http://www.fieldsupply.com/general-store/packs-bags/dry-boxes-tough-cases/megilla-6700-12-waterproof-drybox-case-layered-foam-black-2.html

they'll list it under a couple of different names.. black watch, black ops, megilla, herf-a-dor, etc.. but its all the same case.. same manufacturer.. same product.. etc.. just different companies selling it...

tupperware is a good option as well... my first "traveldor" was a $7 piece of snapware I bought at target.. I filled it with 3 pieces of fluted foam that I picked up at cheaphumidors.com that cost about $3 each (IIRC).. all in the thing cost me about $15-$20 including shipping.. and it was a reliable 30 count traveldor.. that took up about 50% of the space that the blackwatch 40 count box did.. (something to consider when you are trying to find space for the box in your carry on bags... 2 of the tupperware options... and youre up to 60 cigars.. for barely more money than the blackwatch option.. and considerably less than the xikar option..

I cant remember who on the board I bombed the tupperware out to... but it was fairly recently (within the last 6 months).. they might be able to show you a pic of it... was a very good solution.. I just didnt need it anymore.. so I let it go to someone that could use it.....

one last thing to add.. the blackwatch case has 40 slots to hold cigars.. each one will hold a churchill +... so.. if you are smoking smaller sticks.. you can get much more in there... for example.. you can easily fit a couple of illusione rothschilds.. or tat PCRs... or nub habanos.. etc.. in a single slot.. and get as many as 80 cigars in there (again, assuming you tend to smoke smaller length sticks)..

Last edited:

BrooksW

BoM June '09
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
Spend the money once on an Armored Humidor. You will literarily never need another one (unless a different size of course).

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
As nice as the Armored Humidors are, they're probably overkill for temporary storage on a vacation. If I were a military guy taking these on deployment, even then I'd probably still opt for the less-expensive otterbox-style cases.

mdwest nailed it. Wait for the sale at fieldsupply and get one of the Blackwatch cases. It'll be plenty sturdy for what you need.

Also...

40 to 60 cigars?!?!?!? Good lord, how long you going to be on vacation?
^this! :D

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
You might want to look into a tupperware solution, possible add your own foam if you wanted extra protection
I thought about that, but was worried about the tupper crushing.

I would tell you, but I'm thinking of running a contest about guess my honeymoon/vacation details LOL

the blackwatch is MORE THAN ENOUGH protection and seal to accomplish just about anything you would want to do...
If the Xikar could be had for cheap enough would you recommend that route over the blackwatch? I only ask because you did say the Xikar is much better built and nicer.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
If the Xikar could be had for cheap enough would you recommend that route over the blackwatch? I only ask because you did say the Xikar is much better built and nicer.
I know your question was directed at Dave, but imo the answer depends on whether you smoke fatter RG cigars (over 50rg) or not. Both will provide adequate external protection for your needs, but the foam trays inside are different.

If you stick to thinner ones, the savings on the Blackwatch is worth it. The foam inserts they use have thinner slots which don't allow for larger cigars very comfortably, but the foam provides more protection as it comes up between each cigar. The Xikars have a thinner foam insert, like the herfadors, that doesn't provide quite as much protection, but will allow for a fatter RG cigar to fit. I've never had a busted cigar as a result of the lack of foam in between the cigars inside my herfadors or Xikar travel humidor, but if you're sticking to smaller RG, you may as well opt for the extra internal padding.

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
Personally, I love all 3 of my Pelican cases, different sizes for different needs. I bought the foam inserts which are interchangeable between cases. The cases are watertight and really protect your investment. The 1200 holds up to 24 cigars depending on the inserts. The 1300 holds up to 36 depending on the inserts. The 1450 holds up to 140 with inserts and loose cigars.

But it all comes down to personal choice. Have a great vacation/honeymoon. Remember, family is the most important component in your life.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
ninja's points are spot on...

Ive also found the xikar foam to be a little "softer".. which is nice.. but that said.. the blackwatch case has NEVER failed me...

I dont know where you are going.. or what youll be doing.. but... the blackwatch case I had withstood flights out to the "bush" in a couple of different african countries.. got thrown around by very bad baggage handlers in the middle east and africa on multiple occasions.. got thrown in the back of landcruisers and bounced up and down all over dirt roads and open fields in a couple of different developing countries, etc... and is now currently sitting at 5000+ feet, and getting subjected to the horrible climate that Kabul produces.. and it has NEVER failed.. it keeps a seal.. is sturdy enough to withstand pretty substantial abuse.. and just keeps on working...

I LOVE my xikar.. it was a gift (thanks KK33 and the rest of you nuts that had a good time at my expense! :) )... and I am super happy to have it.. it is an upgrade from the blackwatch...

but.. if I am as honest as I possibly can be... its an unnecessary upgrade... unless you have plans to throw your humidor off the second floor balcony at your hotel.. or put fire to it with your dupont mini... etc...

the blackwatch is a tank...

the xikar is just a super tank.. (that Im guessing you probably dont need.. unless the capacity issue plays such a big role that you cant work with the 40 count)..

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Cigar caddy by otterbox. I own seven in various size including a fifty count that will hold over 75 cigars if you remove the foam. The 15 count will easily hold 30 without the foam. $27 on Amazon. Lifetime. Never crack, break, etc. All the others and fancy names that means someone paid extra to put Xikar on a box. I use my fifty to sit on at airport parking lots.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I thought about that, but was worried about the tupper crushing.

I would tell you, but I'm thinking of running a contest about guess my honeymoon/vacation details LOL

the blackwatch is MORE THAN ENOUGH protection and seal to accomplish just about anything you would want to do...
Damn, I almost got some inside info. :facepalm:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being near a military base I have a few cases. The best I have found is a case that is used for NVG's I found at a pawn shop was 10 bucks. It seals very well is durable and I just cut out foam from one of the cases to make some padding. It holds around 25-30 sticks. The biggest issue is getting the plastic smell out of it.

I have the black ops case also it can hold more but if you don't use the foam you can get some wrapper damage when the sticks bounce around. Using the foam I have used it and it does a solid job keeping them safe. I can normally get more in but I lay them across the foam in the bottom as long as the handling isnt too bad it works out well.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Personally, I love all 3 of my Pelican cases, different sizes for different needs. I bought the foam inserts which are interchangeable between cases. The cases are watertight and really protect your investment. The 1200 holds up to 24 cigars depending on the inserts. The 1300 holds up to 36 depending on the inserts. The 1450 holds up to 140 with inserts and loose cigars.

But it all comes down to personal choice. Have a great vacation/honeymoon. Remember, family is the most important component in your life.
Bill, where did you get your foam inserts?

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
And seriously, 40-60 cigars?!? I hope you plan on herfing with people cuz no way my wife would let me smoke that many cigars on our honeymoon!?! lol

Are you going out of country and any place close to LCDH or any other good cigar shops?

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0

Bill, where did you get your foam inserts?
I get my inserts from Cigar Solutions. They come in the 6 or 8 slot sizes. The 6 holds up to lance to or double corona sizes, the 8 holds Robusto and toro sizes. They have other sizes too and a cheap foam option

http://www.cigarsolutions.com/categories/Foam-Travel-Humidor-Trays/