What's new

Need advice: looking to purchase a box in the $8-10/stick range

What should I buy in the $8-10/stick range?

• Total voters
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Going to place an order. Partially for my own consumption, but some to give as gifts. The people I am gifting are business colleagues, most of who smoke cigars but not on a weekly basis (and rarely Cuban). So, I want to give them something tasty, but also a brand that I think they will recognize/appreciate.
I've decided to get Punch Punch and HdM Epicure No. 2. I am looking to get one more box (amongst the choices in the poll).
I appreciate the help.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Given the price range, I would perhaps recommend Edmundos or Monte 2 if you go Monte. Monte is a well known brand, even by non-smokers, and Americans tend to want a larger size cigar, they'll regard it as more significant.

Other I'd recommend for something like this would would be Bolivar (RC or Belicosos Finos) or Partagas (D4, or P2).

Bolivar RC Tubos are around $11/ea and the tubo feels like a more significant gift.

memphsdad

But I don't live in Memphis
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
either JL and the QdO are both killer choices and in your price range - I agree with @StogieNinja's comments about the edmundos bcuz of the brand notoriety, but don't see the need to spend the extra $ when the JL is plenty sufficient

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Although my personal preference of those four is JL1, if you are wanting to gift these to just casual cigar smokers, the H. Uppman's are probably these most recognizable brand to get. I'm not sure people not really into this hobby will have heard of JL or QdO before. I know I hadn't.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I appreciate all the help. I've got some Monte No. 4 already in my cooler and wanted something different to add to the mix-up.
Here is what I ended up with:
1 H.Upmann - Connoisseur No.1 -- 25 Box
2 Hoyo de Monterrey - Epicure No.2 -- 15 Box
3 Punch - Punch -- 25 Box

This thread really drove home the point that there is no universal preference/choice amongst our group. People like different things, which is why I keep exploring the different brands. Thank you for all the thoughts.