What's new

Need help with a life decision

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
since you guys are the brothers I need some help. So like many of you know I’m a freshman and 20 years old in college and I really enjoy cigars now. I’m a bio major on a pre dental track which I’ve always wanted to do I also play D2 golf with is another dream I’ve always wanted. So I’ve had a great year to find out my university is 10 million in debt and is having a financial Crisis. Long story short they cut over half of the majors including mine but all sports are staying. Everyone thought they were gonna close but the school says they have enough gas In the tank for. The 2019-2020 year but after that who knows. There’s a few schools around but none I’ve been thrilled with and the other university which is a public state D2 university golf coach is kinda a ass and probably wouldn’t take me even tho I’m a upper 70s shooter and a 5 handicap. So do I change schools or stay and change my major to exercise science and then try to go into physical therapy which was always my backup plan because honestly idk if I’d get into dental school. The other issue is my best friends both golfers who are like my bothers. One is leaving for sure but the other will probably stay because they kept nursing. It would kinda suck if I stayed and my friends left even though we need to do what’s good for myself. I’m a torn up mess because I’m really happy where I’m at in life.

Last edited:

Dran

"That guy"
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
My best advice is you should relocate to a differnt university, friends/golf are important, but where they can't garuntee anything beyond the 19/20 school year, would you have the time to complete your degree? If not, you may be relocating in another anyways. And although its great to be a student athlete, do you see that as a future way that you could make a viable living? In my opinion, you should stick with the dental path if that has been your dream, unless your like.... 60% sure you won't make the cut further down the line. But regardless of which path you choose, I think that a relocation is in order, where your current institution can't garuntee they will be there in 2 years.

Sent from my LGL83BL using Tapatalk

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
My best advice is you should relocate to a differnt university, friends/golf are important, but where they can't garuntee anything beyond the 19/20 school year, would you have the time to complete your degree? If not, you may be relocating in another anyways. And although its great to be a student athlete, do you see that as a future way that you could make a viable living? In my opinion, you should stick with the dental path if that has been your dream, unless your like.... 60% sure you won't make the cut further down the line. But regardless of which path you choose, I think that a relocation is in order, where your current institution can't garuntee they will be there in 2 years.

Sent from my LGL83BL using Tapatalk
All of this.

Also, go get a Chili Cheese Burrito (or 5) from Taco Bell while you digest @Dran's solid advice.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Best advice I can give is to first and foremost treat college as a "jobs program" .
I'm not doing the generational "pick on the millennials" thing, here. It's not like that.
Bottom line is for a long time just going to college was enough. A degree was a ticket to stability, almost no matter what your major or school.
A couple decades of that though, and we have a glut of graduates and the paradigm has shifted.
For awhile, law or medicine, and then STEM was the next saviour, but now that's fading too.

What I'm seeing from the 20 somethings around me is that you have to train for something that will justify the time and expense of college, or you're just being nuts.
So many still aren't, and it's landing them in debt. Even the ones without debt are ending up with no marketable skills after 4 or more years.

If you're one of the lucky ones who has a passion for something that also happens to be marketable, that's fantastic. Go ahead and pursue your dream.

Otherwise, you already know (cigars, golf, etc) that there's plenty of ways you can enjoy life through hobbies and other interests. Find a career, and life will flow from that.

/OldGuyTalking

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
You dont have to be pre-dentistry to he accepted into dental school. Know what classes are needed, make sure those are done well, and get great grades. My best friend from HS went into dentistry, and it's just a matter of doing good in school and taking the minimum prerequisites.

Golf is fun, but your career matters more. Unless you can't afford school, I wouldn't consider golf in the decision process.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
I took 3 semesters of college and majored in partying and girls. I ended up with 10 college credits with 6 them being bowling and golf. I took it twice because it was fun. Sadly all of the above is true.

If you want me to be your mentor, feel free to contact me through PM.
Do you mentor old guys too? Asking for a friend. :D