What's new

Need help with Scotch selection

Cigar Cowboy

BoY...in Hell!!!
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I haven't heard (unless I missed it) any mention of the glenlivet french oak reserve 15yr. IMO it doesn't get much smoother, but I do like the highland/speyside malts more than islays.. mid $50's
You can find 15 yr old Glenlivet for around the same price as the 12 yr old Macallan.

But for the money again you can not beat the Macallan Strength.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I help you with your scotch. you just tell me when and where, and you'll have more help than you need.:eyebrow:

Zedman05

Fiend4theLeaf
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Well if you really feel inclined, my wife is leaving this evening from Las Vegas airport, you could meet her there and show her what to buy me lol!!
This does not mean rediculous things like....um...say ball-gags or anything. That would help out a lot DPrice 8D

KPP

Rating - 100%
73   0   0

for that price range!:smokingme
x 2.....

The Mac 12, for ANYONE thinking about getting into Scotch, is a great starting point IMO.

A couple of my first bottles included the Laphroaig Quarter Cask, and the Mac Cask Strength. Those are NOT places to start out a Newb. I lived it. The QC due to Peat, and the Cask Strength, well..due to it's strength. It's in your face....so water is necessary, but I didn't personally dig the flavor all that much.

Simultaneously, I also had bottles of the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban, Mac 12, and Oban 14.

Didn't care all that much for the QR, or even the La Santa that I tried later on for that matter.

For it's smooth/sweetness (w/ Vanilla/Caramel notes), the Mac 12 is very nice. If you want to add some complexity of peat/smoke to the mix, the Oban 14 is a REAL nice choice as well.

Next Scotch purchase for me will be a bottle of Mac 18. That stuff is amazing IMO. :yes:

Zedman05

Fiend4theLeaf
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Well I ended up with 2 bottles.
1- Laphroaig 10 year
2- Glenfiddich 15 year Solara
There was a selection in the duty free shops that included those two name brands, plus Glenlivet. I had a choice on ages, but those seemed to best for the price. It is wierd how much of a difference it was for me when I travelled to Miami and back, as I remember a larger selection of scotch's...either way, I am happy enough with those two. I will start off with the Glenfiddich and maybe buy another bottle of something else here, then work my way into that Laphroaig.