What's new

Need new cutting board...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning all!

I have a cutting board question. I have been using a large plastic cutting board like this, and as it seems to work okay for cutting, the leaf doesn't really want to stick. Would a bamboo like this be too soft? I would like to maybe get a marble slab, but they seem to be a little expensive.

Suggestions??

Thanks in advance!

Rex

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I used bamboo for quite a while with good success. They don't cost much.
In lieu of marble, I used a 2'x1' tile from Home Despot. Only cost me like $2.65. Wrapper sticks to it unreal.

I use a regular tabla now, the antique maple kind. Never stick my wrapper down any more.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a regular tabla now, the antique maple kind. Never stick my wrapper down any more.
Interesting!! How you get a good clean roll? I have little bits of binder and wrapper that are all wrinkly and ugly because the stretch wont hold on this plastic.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Interesting!! How you get a good clean roll? I have little bits of binder and wrapper that are all wrinkly and ugly because the stretch wont hold on this plastic.

Bliss has the answer. He uses a spritz bottle and a baggie to dampen his leaf. That's what he means by the inapt phrase "case it properly". He means get it damp enough to lay flat.

Me... I use a conditioning chamber, as in the vid below.

See, you don't need stickage to the board once your leaf has been dampened and flattened out. Get it damp enough to be stretchy, then stretch it with your other hand, while you roll it with this hand. If you need a third hand, use a heavy paperweight.

It works.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Its nice seeing the efficient way they do that. Some leaf is very fragile. Sticking it to the board allows us to stretch it out to its max without damage and we just need to roll it the bunch in it. A true maduro has been fermented to the max making it fragile. Stainless steel is used with a Stainless steel cutter to prevent damage to the board.
Away from that, when trimming the wrapper keep in mind a minimal overlap, a straight trimming for a straight cigar. Ones the wrapper has been tucked in the foot area, keep the tension with the bunch hand by lifting the bunch lightly, pulling back while leading in to the rotation. The other hand attention on pinching out the wrapper. That hands palm lays lightly on the wrapper as it feeds. The roller hand always has pressure to the cigar on the board if the leaf goes limp. (when re-positioning the pinching hand)
when trimming the barber pole wrappers leading edges, the lighter leaf goes inside, those edges get trimmed at the same time then, the lighter leaf is shifted up to its final position.

Reactions: nic
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bliss has the answer. He uses a spritz bottle and a baggie to dampen his leaf. That's what he means by the inapt phrase "case it properly". He means get it damp enough to lay flat.

Me... I use a conditioning chamber, as in the vid below.

See, you don't need stickage to the board once your leaf has been dampened and flattened out. Get it damp enough to be stretchy, then stretch it with your other hand, while you roll it with this hand. If you need a third hand, use a heavy paperweight.

It works.
Nice video. By the way, I like your BMW paperweight! May I ask how you got that? Very cool!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its nice seeing the efficient way they do that. Some leaf is very fragile. Sticking it to the board allows us to stretch it out to its max without damage and we just need to roll it the bunch in it. A true maduro has been fermented to the max making it fragile. Stainless steel is used with a Stainless steel cutter to prevent damage to the board.
Away from that, when trimming the wrapper keep in mind a minimal overlap, a straight trimming for a straight cigar. Ones the wrapper has been tucked in the foot area, keep the tension with the bunch hand by lifting the bunch lightly, pulling back while leading in to the rotation. The other hand attention on pinching out the wrapper. That hands palm lays lightly on the wrapper as it feeds. The roller hand always has pressure to the cigar on the board if the leaf goes limp. (when re-positioning the pinching hand)
when trimming the barber pole wrappers leading edges, the lighter leaf goes inside, those edges get trimmed at the same time then, the lighter leaf is shifted up to its final position.
Great advice!! (copied and pasted into my 'cigar rolling notes' doc) lol

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Nice video. By the way, I like your BMW paperweight! May I ask how you got that? Very cool!

Years ago, I went looking for a bagger, so's my wife & I could murdersickle tour. Never intended a beemer; but they wanted $28k for an HD Road King at the time, $22k for a Honda GoldWing .... but BMW was doing a thing for 1500 off, 0% interest, on their R1200CLC weird looking chromehead bagger. They also paid the first three payments, deferred the next 3, & beside that, the dealer was doing another 1500. So, started out at $1450, IIRC, & ended up w/ BMW paying me to use 11k of their money. Totally unreal deal. Had been a life-long rice-rocketeer up to then ... but wound up a beemerista. Joined the BMW MOA. The group liked to go on useless little day rides. Thot they were missing the point. So I led them on several nice long camping trips. They made me a ride leader. The prez of the group at the time worked as a prototype machinist at the U of DE. As a thank you, he made me this heavy coaster outta an inch thick slab of bronze. Useful hunka weight to have. Beemer emblem nicely inset and letter engraved. Kewl.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Years ago, I went looking for a bagger, so's my wife & I could murdersickle tour. Never intended a beemer; but they wanted $28k for an HD Road King at the time, $22k for a Honda GoldWing .... but BMW was doing a thing for 1500 off, 0% interest, on their R1200CLC weird looking chromehead bagger. They also paid the first three payments, deferred the next 3, & beside that, the dealer was doing another 1500. So, started out at $1450, IIRC, & ended up w/ BMW paying me to use 11k of their money. Totally unreal deal. Had been a life-long rice-rocketeer up to then ... but wound up a beemerista. Joined the BMW MOA. The group liked to go on useless little day rides. Thot they were missing the point. So I led them on several nice long camping trips. They made me a ride leader. The prez of the group at the time worked as a prototype machinist at the U of DE. As a thank you, he made me this heavy coaster outta an inch thick slab of bronze. Useful hunka weight to have. Beemer emblem nicely inset and letter engraved. Kewl.

My first car, which I had for about 15 years, was a BMW 1600. That thing had a ton of soul. I finally blew it up.

Reactions: nic