What's new

Need opinion on box I received

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to find that sweet spot between your intellect and my OCD.

I got a good Black Friday deal on a box of Liga Privada no 9, it shipped Monday, arrived Friday morning. They looked drier than usual cigar shipments (looked drier at the foot, and wrapper color was slightly lighter in patchy patterns), so I threw them in a small container with a hygrometer- 6 hours later, it read 60%. That bothers me, as I'm accustomed to seeing new deliveries register around 67%. The company stores it at 70%, and I bring them down to 65%... I'm not sure I like the idea of 70%, down to 60, then drive them back up to 65 or so. I'm not even sure that cigars should be able to dry that much in 5 days under normal conditions.

I've ordered plenty of times from the same place, with no issues, and they are sending me a return label to exchange these.

So, I need your opinion/knowledge. I know I'm very picky about how cigars arrive, but am I being TOO anal this time? I'm patient enough for the return and re-ship... so no rush, because I rest cigars for quite a while anyway. My concern is proper care and quality.

Should I go ahead the exchange, or do you think the cigars weren't/won't be affected by this ordeal? Yes, I want shit to be perfect, but I try to be cool to companies if there's no real harm.

Last edited:

smokemifugotem

BoM July '10
Rating - 100%
190   0   1
They will be fine. Cigars hit every type of humidity before coming to you. They spend their life in natural humidity of Nicaragua for a long time before shipping, ship out of nica and sit in customs for good chunk of time, then ship to the seller, then ship to you... Not shocked at all that they are a little dry. Just let them sit in your humi for a bit and rest to bring them back up to your desired level.

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
" I'm not sure I like the idea of 70%, down to 60, then drive them back up to 65 or so."
Happens daily where they are made and stored.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies, guys. Like I said in the original post, I'm very aware that I'm picky and critical... that's why I wanted you to weigh in.

For the better part of 20 years, I didn't have the time to keep home storage. I had to grab a couple sticks at the b&m, and just keep them in the baggy they give you. When I've never had a cigar stay unsmoked for more than 4 days. I never had to be concerned, and if one did get a little drier... It was one cigar, not a signifant dollar amount.

now I'm finally settled down and have time to safely keep humidors, but I'm living on the ideal thoughts of cigar care- don't let them dry, you don't want massive fluctuations... Etc. I don't know first hand what is too dry, how long before the cigars 'wont ever be the same again'...

I'm learning, thanks to this site... hopefully BOTL is the prescription I need to manage my OCD.

jkittle99

Josh
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Its never bad to pay attention to detail, but in this particular case, I think you would be ok. I keep my sticks at 65, so seeing them arrive at 60 after shipping would be no major concern. Glad your retailer is working with you, regardless. Some good vendors out there.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive gotten to a point where I'd rather avoid online cigar purchasing... God knows what can happen in transit. In some cases, though, it's hard to pass up.

My local B&M's are pretty good stores, but they don't play nice with prices.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha that's a good one.
This place is crawling with guys that have OCD. And I'm driving the OCD bus. Welcome aboard.
Nothing will cure my illness... but when you guys educate me on things, I get to quit OCD'ing about something dumb, and move onto 3 other aspects to twitch about.