What's new

Need Pipe Filter Help

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey gang,
i just bought my first pipe !
Savinelli Duca Carlo Pipe - Brandy
I ordered from pipesandcigars.com and they also send me some filters which i installed

but after about half a bowl i have no draw
i thought i may be packing to tight, so i emptied it out and still no draw
i pull the filter out and its pinched shut on both ends but mostly the end near the bowl
i tried another filter and it did it again after about half a bowl

do i need to cut the filters? (thinking they are to long, but when i first put them in the draw is fine ) or am i just drawing to hard to cause this?

also another question, when a pipe is packed correctly, should have a draw just as loose without any tobacco in it? or should it give me slight resistance ?

thanks in advance for your help brothers!

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
no filter here either. just use a pipe cleaner a couple times during a bowl to keep it from puddling in the bottom.

CWL

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've run into this myself and I've noticed that you can either push the balsa wood in the stem too deep so it blocks freeflow, or you can leave it sticking out of the stem too far and it blocks air passage from the bowl. When it gets blocked like this, sometimes it'll plug like how you describe it. In my case, I have to find the sweet spot where the balsa sits so it can absorb tar and not block the passage of smoke.

On one pipe, I even have to snap off a little bit of the wood to give it enough space to fit properly without blocking.

While I don't notice any difference between the Savinellis and my other pipes, seeing all the tar and gunk the balsa has absorbed does make me glad it hasn't gone into my mouth.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Never had that problem before and I use the balsa filters all the time. My guess would be that you are pushing it too far down the stem and as it absorbs moisture its swelling to close up the air passage.

I would try a test and see how it does once without the filter. If you find your pipe gurgling very soon then maybe the problem is that you are a very wet smoker and my need to alter your technique a bit if you wish to continue using the filters.