What's new

Need recommendations for exterior house paint...

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Well, my house is 15 years old this year - with the original paint. Frankly, I'm surprised the paint has made it this long. I've gotten estimates from several painting companies, and they're all around $2500-2700 for a 2200 sq/ft 2 story house.

They'll use whatever paint brand I tell them to. One uses either Sherwin-Williams or Kwal. The other guy said he uses Behr from Home Depot, but since I have my doubts about that, he'll gladly use whatever I tell him to since I'm paying for it.

Do you guys have any recommendations for exterior house paint? What have been your experiences? Consider I live in Denver, with its snow in the winters and high UV and sun exposure.

I have the normal assortment of big-box stores out here. The other ones include Benjamin-Moore, Kwal, and Dunn-Edwards. Any other brands you guys have might be local/regional or unavailable in my area.

Regards,
Randy

Rating - 100%
54   0   0
stick with the sherwin williams. i typically use the "super paint" line or you can step up to the duration... it all depends on what type of siding/facia/sophet/etc. you have.

also am i reading this right... 25~2700 plus you provide the paint? i hope there is alot of prep work involved for that price...

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
stick with the sherwin williams. i typically use the "super paint" line or you can step up to the duration... it all depends on what type of siding/facia/sophet/etc. you have.

also am i reading this right... 25~2700 plus you provide the paint? i hope there is alot of prep work involved for that price...
I have fiberboard siding. I'm trying to prevent them from getting moisture underneath and swelling. Some portions have started to swell ever-so-slightly, but all the painters I've consulted with have said it is not severe enough to warrant being replaced.

The 2500-2700 I've been quoted includes the cost of paint, masking, caulking around the windows, nail heads, etc. I was told by one contractor it would take about 15 gallons to cover my entire house. It would also be warrantied for 7 years, but typically he said the Sherwin Williams line should last about 11. Does that sound right?

Regards,
Randy

Rating - 100%
54   0   0
you will also need a good power wash with an exterior bleach and priming any bare spots. As long as they are covering paint the price is not so bad.
also, for your own protection, make sure they are licensed/registered for your state and insured. business is buisness...the legit firm gets my money!

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
you will also need a good power wash with an exterior bleach and priming any bare spots. As long as they are covering paint the price is not so bad.
also, for your own protection, make sure they are licensed/registered for your state and insured. business is buisness...the legit firm gets my money!
I like the way you think

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
The price includes a power washing, although he never mentioned bleach. I'll have to ask about that.

They do a spray, and then go over it with rollers. They wait until everything is covered, then come back in a day or two, and do the whole thing over with another coat.

They have 2,000,000 of liability/workers-comp insurance. I'll be sure to ask about a copy of it though. They do approx 1500 houses a year here and have pretty strong references.

Thanks for the replies and help guys.

Regards,
Randy

Rating - 100%
54   0   0
out here the weather is humid in the summer and breeds mold and mildew on homes. if it is not killed via diluted beach wash, it will eathit;s way through a latex paint and cause major bond issues. we use an exterior bleach made by chlorox... it breaks down into salts so it will not harm any plants around the house.

sounds like your in good hands...

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Yep, Sherwin Williams is the way to go. Last time I painted my house they had 15 year and 30 year (or was it 10 and 20). Anyway, I'd go with the 30 year.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I sold my half of a painting business to my Uncle several years ago. I I just called him for you, to see what his recomendations were. He swears by the Behr Premium Plus Ultra for exteriors. If they are contractors they can get a contractor price at home depot, to make it cheaper for them. It has aprimer included in the paint, since they are "back rolling" behgind the sprayer, and doing a second coat, he said this paint is his favorite. Realize his primary clientel has more money than most, and thier houses are in the 1-5 mil range, and he lives on referals. So they must be happy.

Strick

Finally
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sold my half of a painting business to my Uncle several years ago. I I just called him for you, to see what his recomendations were. He swears by the Behr Premium Plus Ultra for exteriors. If they are contractors they can get a contractor price at home depot, to make it cheaper for them. It has aprimer included in the paint, since they are "back rolling" behgind the sprayer, and doing a second coat, he said this paint is his favorite. Realize his primary clientel has more money than most, and thier houses are in the 1-5 mil range, and he lives on referals. So they must be happy.
That is what i used on mine a couple of years ago...I also use the interiir stuff to...Covers well and so far has held up well...

Rating - 100%
54   0   0
no ofense to anyone who suggested it, but...

don't use behr paint unless there is no other option! regardless of what it sais or you heard... in the long run it fails more often!! it's like a cheap cigar with a nice cedar band around it...

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
no ofense to anyone who suggested it, but...

don't use behr paint unless there is no other option! regardless of what it sais or you heard... in the long run it fails more often!! it's like a cheap cigar with a nice cedar band around it...
I've done more research online and I'd have to agree with your statement. Behr seems to be okay for interior paint, but I've found that its not highly regarded on exterior applications by a lot of people.

Colorado is pretty harsh on exterior paints with 40-50 degree temperature variations in a day.

Its down to either Sherwin-Williams Duration or Kwal's Ambassador line. The Kwal is a liquid vinyl thats supposed to be formulated for the high UV and harsh climate we have. So, right now I'm actually leaning towards the Kwal.

I do appreciate all the comments. I should post some before/after pictures.

Regards,
Randy

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Dunn-Edwards, all the way.

More expensive, but they tuly know their stuff, and produce great product.

Just a thought...If your rain gutters are in need of repair or replacement, now is a great time to do it.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Dunn-Edwards, all the way.

More expensive, but they tuly know their stuff, and produce great product.

Just a thought...If your rain gutters are in need of repair or replacement, now is a great time to do it.
We don't have Dunn-Edwards out here. I think they're a California/SW regional brand. Our regional is Kwal.

+1 on the rain gutters! I have my painters look at that.

Regards,
Randy