What's new

Need Recommendations

pdonlin

aka Tumbleweed
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I was planning on buying a box of cigars for my fathers birthday but I'm not sure what I should order. I have given him Fonseca Delicias, Montecristo Tubos, and a RyJ Romeos No. 2 that I can remember. When I ask him what cigar he has liked most so far he says "The ones with the paper on them", which is suprising because of how cheap of a cigar the Delicias are. This is probably because he enjoys milder cigars and the MC/RyJ are more medium in strength.

I was looking at the Fonseca No. 1's which appear to be similar to the Delicias but larger and hand made. So... any recommendations or should I just order a box of Delicias/No1's?

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
GO with what he liked. If you want to throw in something else for him to try feel free, but if he likes the less expensive Fonsecas, then all the better for his and your pocket book. :wink:

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
If you are looking for an alternative that he might like, you might consider a Raphael Gonzales Coronas Extra, or a Diplomaticos 4. Both might fit the bill if you like to give something different. I like to try to vary what I give to people. It can be boring giving the same thing. Then again, if he is the kind of person that sticks with the same thing all of the time, maybe you should just get him the delicias!

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Get him what he likes and a sampler which will give you ideas for the future.

smokem94

BoM Sept. 05
Rating - 100%
147   0   0
Roxborough Park CO, Soon to be Wapiti, Wyoming
I kind of agree with the, "get him what he likes" consensus, but on the other hand, everyone of us kept finding cigars they liked better after expanding our horizons! I know I probably said a dozen times, "this is my favorite cigar" only to change after trying something new. If all you ever ate was sirloin, you would never know whaty a rib-eye tasted like.

pdonlin

aka Tumbleweed
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Thanks for all the ideas, I guess it does make the most sense to go with what he likes and it will even save me a little cash. Maybe I'll pickup some El Rey del Mundo later and have him try one.

dre

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sampler a good idea.

also try other into cubans such as the RyJ cedro line, the boli #3 tubos (always a noob fav) or parti mille fleurs.

all of the above show good flavor of the brands while not being overly complex.

good luck