What's new

Need suggestions on high MPG hatchback

Rating - 100%
63   0   0
We are looking to lease a car for our general manager, or perhaps even buy outright given the amount of miles that will likely be put on it. It has to be high MPG and a hatchback (or at least I think it has to be a hatchback). The GM will occasionally haul misc supplies and/or equipment from store to store.

Any suggestions?

Tnt Cigarguy

BoM Jan 12
Rating - 100%
138   0   0
Mike,

I would go with a Scion XB. You are going to get great mileage and have very little problems since it is a Toyota. I average about 35k miles a year and I just moved on from the car but put 140k miles on it with basically only maintenance to the car. The car is going to average around 35 mpg and things like tires and brakes are a lot less due to the size of the car. I am 6'4 and had plenty of room.

Rating - 100%
63   0   0
The Ford Focus is suppose to get 36 miles a gallon highway.
Mike,

I would go with a Scion XB. You are going to get great mileage and have very little problems since it is a Toyota. I average about 35k miles a year and I just moved on from the car but put 140k miles on it with basically only maintenance to the car. The car is going to average around 35 mpg and things like tires and brakes are a lot less due to the size of the car. I am 6'4 and had plenty of room.
Thanks for the suggestions. What do those two retail for?

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
I have an xb, and you are looking about $18k ish new.

BUT the mileage varies greatly dependent on how you drive it. fat little toaster has some pick up, which doesn't help.

if you drive like you are NOT jacked on coffee, you will be fine.

Tnt Cigarguy

BoM Jan 12
Rating - 100%
138   0   0
I think on a gofl tdi your looking min of 18k to 20k to start. Plus keep in mind maintenance. Adds up with all those miles so quick.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I personally don't like VW's because you almost always have to take'em to the dealer to have them worked on, PITA! They're great cars and will last but maintenance imho will cost you a bit more. I would consider the Toyota Yaris hatchback MPG is 30/38 and cost is somewhere between 14-15K.

L8A

BoM Feb '11
Rating - 99.1%
208   1   0
My kid has a Yaris we bought new for $13k and it has a 100k miles and NO issues. Great car and the mileage is amazing. Very utilitarian and as cheap as think you will find.