What's new

Need tips on wine cooler conversion.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
So I got a hand me down wine cooler from a neighbor. They got it for thier wedding a year ago and never even took it out of the box. It is from Magic Chef so I guess they could not return it. I just found one on ebay for $350 shipped, got mine for free, and I have to help with a project this weekend.

My question: Is there anything special I need to do to season this thing?

I have a thermostat that I will need to add so that it will not get too cold. I have to drill a hole in the wall of the fridge to get the plug out. Is there any special tool I need to seal that hole, or does silicone work? How many beads will I need? Can I used Beads in conjunction with a Cigas Oasis XL?

http://www.mcappliance.com/products/winedetail.asp?record=yes&sizecheck=&modelname=EWWC30MCG

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
You really can't season it because there's no wood in there. You could line it with cedar, but there's no need to, your cigars in boxes are already in cedar, and your loose sticks you could just use an empty box. Plug the hole with silicone is fine, just let it dry well to get the smell gone. Plug that sucker in and let it go!

Ratbert

BoM Oct '07
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Wade's right about seasoning...can't season plastic!

What plug do you have to put through the back? Cigar oasis will use a ribbon cable that the door will close on just fine. Use an external temp control if you need one. I cut too large of a hole in the back of mine to pass through a plug on a heating mat, then realized that I never needed the heater. I do have a couple of CPU fans that are wired to a timer, but a 1/4" hole would have been fine for these, and even the converter cord for the CO if you don't use the ribbon cable. Then seal with silicone caulk.

Is it a thermoelectric unit? If so, CO and beads should work great for your RH. In my 28 bottle Avanti I use a CO and two pounds of beads. It stays at 66 degrees and 66 RH, rock steady. :thumbsup:

Headbanger has a GREAT thread on here detailing wine coolers as humidors. Quick search should turn it up.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Thanks guys,
My need for the hole come from the Thremostat I'm using. I will place the thermo inside and need to run a standard wall plug to the wall. Then you plug the cooler into the back of the thermo plug. When the cooler gets to 66 degrees it turns off the cooler then when it heats up it turns t back on. I figured 2 Lbs of beads would work, and am glad to hear the CO won't affect them adversly. Thanks for the help. Any other tips?

Ratbert

BoM Oct '07
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Thanks guys,
My need for the hole come from the Thremostat I'm using. I will place the thermo inside and need to run a standard wall plug to the wall. Then you plug the cooler into the back of the thermo plug.
Can you leave the thermostat on the outside and just run a probe through? The only reason I say that is because the smaller the hole you have to drill, the better in my estimation. If you do go with the large hole, pack some insulation back in there around the cords to keep it from sucking the cool air out.

Good luck...wine coolerdors are a fun project. You can add spanish cedar shelves, line the walls, add fans, etc. to trick it out.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Thanks guys,
My need for the hole come from the Thremostat I'm using. I will place the thermo inside and need to run a standard wall plug to the wall. Then you plug the cooler into the back of the thermo plug. When the cooler gets to 66 degrees it turns off the cooler then when it heats up it turns t back on. I figured 2 Lbs of beads would work, and am glad to hear the CO won't affect them adversly. Thanks for the help. Any other tips?
Does this thing not have a thermostat and temp adjustment controls of its own?

No seasoning, just let it air out for a few days if it smells "plasticky"

Those wire shelves look...inefficient. My Vinotemp had similar shelves. I ordered some spanish cedar off eBay and made a couple shelves

Maybe it's drier where you are...but I don't need a CO in mine. I have about a pound of kitty litter, half pound of mostly dry litter in a container near the top of the cooler, and a half pound mostly damp litter on a plate in the bottom. This thing has been at 64+-1 degrees and 64%+-1 rh for about six months, rock solid. I have beads in my other humis, and keep looking for a reason to buy beads for this, but the kitty litter just works...sorry :peace:

Sascha explained how to rig it so the condensation drips into the bottom beads. About once a month I go in and mix up the litter a bit so it's not all wet on bottom and dry on top, and that's it. Works perfect. I love it.

Enjoy! :smokingme

Edit: oh ya, I have an Oust fan in there too, and two digital temp/rh

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
It has an internal thermo, but the warmest it goes is like 50 degrees. With the external I can get it to regulate much higher than that.. I was goin to use that expanding foam insulation for the hole I have to drill so I don't lose temp or humidity. I deffinettly will be getting new shelves, but for the sake of cost will probably be using the plastic coated wire closet shelves for now. I don't know what type of kitty liter to use, so I figured the beads would be best. Can you link me to the proper kitty litter? I forgot about the oust fan. So that is another thing to add to the list. This is getting to be more expensive than smoking that other stuff.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't get my wine cooler to regulate temperature OR humidity worth a damn until I bought 3 things:

#1 - One pound of RH beads
#2 - Ranco Electronic Temp Controller
#3 - Cigar Oasis XL Plus

Now that I have those items, my wine cooler is rock-solid. It doesn't vary more than about 4 degrees total, and it stays within a percentage point or two of 65%. Absolutely perfet, and it's been that way for a long time now.

:)

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't get my wine cooler to regulate temperature OR humidity worth a damn until I bought 3 things:

#1 - One pound of RH beads
#2 - Ranco Electronic Temp Controller
#3 - Cigar Oasis XL Plus

Now that I have those items, my wine cooler is rock-solid. It doesn't vary more than about 4 degrees total, and it stays within a percentage point or two of 65%. Absolutely perfet, and it's been that way for a long time now.

:)

Excellent, I have all three of those items. A different themostat, but same idea.