What's new

Needed Education On Humidors

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, I know the best buy is a kiln dried spanish cedar interior in the humidor. Is this why only a wood veneer used on the exterior? I had thought when I purchased a Burl wood humidor it would be more than just a thin veneer covering, are the more expensive models covered in a thicker amount of wood or is it still just the thin veneer likewise?
Second, I just purchased a digital hydrometer because the analog just seems to vary from day to day too much for it's own good even after the salt test and recalibration, so I figured a digital would be better.
Third, I read to keep the humidifier away from the hydrometer but in a small humidor this really isn't possible it seems.
Last, the humidifier that came with the box came with two sided tape, if I mount it in the top how would I be able to keep from spilling solution in the humidor, would I be better off scrapping off the two sided tape and buying some Velcro then I could remove it, fill it, empty out any excess, then reinstall it back on the top of the humidor easily without spills.
I'm just looking for advise because the last humidor I bought never worked out, never got the humidity correct in it, got impatient, got mad, so I evened up using it as a jewelery box due to the frustration. :stretchgr

kmckinn3

Learning from the best
Rating - 100%
117   0   1
I'd toss the humidifier that came with the humidor and get beads or a boveda. There is a lot of information about both on here. You can purchase the beads from www.heartfeltindustries.com and the bovedas from www.cigarsolutions.com

The foam discs they give you don't hold humidity well (in my experience). If you do use it, you shouldn't be adding enough to where it drips. As for keeping your hygrometer in a separate humidor? That makes no sense to me. Just keep your hygrometer and humidifier as far apart as possible.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Most inexpensive humidors are veneer over a cheaper wood, not a problem. I still have the first humidor my wife gave me and it works fine.

Digital over analog, in a desktop put it any where but double sided tape and on the lid works best. Fill the humidifier and let the water absorb into the foam and put it on the top with the two sided tape. If it were me I would open the humidifier, take out the foam and replace with Super Absorbant Polymers
http://www.watersorb.com/ or http://www.water-keep.com/shop/ these little bugers hold a lot of water and I've used them with great results. I'm still using the 2lbs I bought 4-5 years ago. Beads & Kitty Litter (100% silica) will also work and will be less expensive the replacing Bovedas which also work well.

Season the humidor by placing a bowl of distilled water in the humidor and lettin the humidity get to 75-80%. This may take a while depending on how dry the Spanish cedar is, be patient. Once it reaches 75-80% take out the water, close the lid and let it sit 24hrs, open and check the humidity if it is over 65-70% your are good to start stocking cigars, if it is less than 60% put the water back and repeat steps above.

If your humidor is not properly seasoned you will continue to have problems. This is assuming your humidor has a good seal.