What's new

Needing a new computer... (2017)

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
So I find myself in the market for a new computer. I'm not sure what happened to my old one but after 2 weeks of a 9 and 11 year old playing on it, it doesn't start any more....
I'd like to have 2 flat screens to allow looking at multiple things without toggling what's displayed. I've been spoiled at work with this setup and since I'm in need of a new ssystem at home, we'll I may as well.
I don't use the computer for gaming, just surfing, various Microsoft Office programs, some stock charting, and of course BOTL reading!
I don't need a Cray supercomputer, my last few have been Walmart machines E-machines (Gateway) and this one was a Dell. I have no brand loyalty in cyberspace and don't mind working on digital equipment, just not up to speed on what's current nor upcoming.
Any recommendations? I'd rather not build one as then I'd feel the need to learn about all the current components and ratings...

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Sorry, got pulled away.
It seems there are several optiplex models which sound good.

Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Personal opinion here, and it comes down to your level of tech savviness - GameStop sells an Alienware Steam Machine from $200-400.

Alienware is a Dell brand and they're a "small form factor gaming system" - I bought one, wiped the Steam software, installed Windows 10 on a clean hard drive, connected a mouse / keyboard, and I was off and running.

Super small and easily portable if needed, "gaming" quality hardware - I ended up with the i7 4th gen w/ 1TB storage and 8GB of RAM for $400. You can get the i3 w/ 500GB storage for $200.

Source: Tech nerd, can always ask me tech questions.

Rating - 100%
93   0   0
And if you would prefer the Mac side, you can pick up a used 2012 Mac Mini with an i5 for $400-450, or a 2014 model for $450-500, eBay is a good source for preowned Macs.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Personal opinion here, and it comes down to your level of tech savviness - GameStop sells an Alienware Steam Machine from $200-400.

Alienware is a Dell brand and they're a "small form factor gaming system" - I bought one, wiped the Steam software, installed Windows 10 on a clean hard drive, connected a mouse / keyboard, and I was off and running.

Super small and easily portable if needed, "gaming" quality hardware - I ended up with the i7 4th gen w/ 1TB storage and 8GB of RAM for $400. You can get the i3 w/ 500GB storage for $200.

Source: Tech nerd, can always ask me tech questions.
Thanks for the ideas. I'm going to have to figure out what Steam software is and how to go about getting Windows if it's not on the machine already.
I'm not an Apple junkie so probably won't be going that route...Apples are good but no need to make the family change over right now.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Thanks for the ideas. I'm going to have to figure out what Steam software is and how to go about getting Windows if it's not on the machine already.
I'm not an Apple junkie so probably won't be going that route...Apples are good but no need to make the family change over right now.
Steam software is a user interface for playing games on the Steam platform.

All I did was plug in a bootable Windows flash drive into the USB, front the hard drive, and install Windows fresh - ended up with a pretty solid daily driver / computer out of the deal.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Id buy something like bosteno suggested. Pop in 8 more gb of ram and get a cheap AMD saphfire card in there down the road and you will be set for surfing,applications, and light gaming for a long time.

bostoneo

The Chosen One
Rating - 100%
400   0   0
Steam software is a user interface for playing games on the Steam platform.

All I did was plug in a bootable Windows flash drive into the USB, front the hard drive, and install Windows fresh - ended up with a pretty solid daily driver / computer out of the deal.
Then you'd have to shell out money for the windows license

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I was wondering about the full MS Office bundle on my dead machine. I'd like to be able to move that over for sure.

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
You should be able to reinstall on a new motherboard, computer, technically you violate the license agreement. However Microsoft usually let's it go. I've done it many times with Windows moving it from one motherboard to another. They will clamp down if you tried to use it on multiple computers at once though.