What's new

Nest Thermostat?

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
You're in Irving, right? If you get a few hours, come on over, I'll show you everything I love about it. I'll also show you all one thing I don't like about it.

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Yes, actually, I have. Not like big $ a month, but, enough to notice a difference. I switched to a plan from reliant that offered it for free, so it was a no-brainer to use it...

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Love mine. Really like auto away and the leaf which shows savings. It will email you monthly reports as well as see what days were more energy efficient than others with explanations. Soo many good things to say about it. One thing I do not like is when it goes on auto away when I'm home. My thermostat is in my hallway and sometimes I don't walk past for a few hours. It's still learning so hopefully this works it's self out.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I thought about one but decided a $60 programmable non wifi model is all I needed. I doubt it'd save me another $190 over its life. I still had a mercury switch model and my house was built in '99 or '97 with a geothermal heatpump system. Ive noticed a difference in runtime of the system probably due to the digital temp sensor vs coils and a mercury switch.

So I guess my input is it depends on what you are switching from. Plus I don't like the wifi idea purely on a conspiratorial basis. I'm sure in 5 years I will be required by law to have one though because the govt will pass some crazy carbon cutting bill and they will tell us how comfortable we are allowed to be in our homes. See, I told you purely conspiratorial.

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Plus I don't like the wifi idea purely on a conspiratorial basis. I'm sure in 5 years I will be required by law to have one though because the govt will pass some crazy carbon cutting bill and they will tell us how comfortable we are allowed to be in our homes. See, I told you purely conspiratorial.
Great, time to get out the aluminum foil hats again.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I have the sweetest aluminum hat, you'd be jealous. Its sad though that I truly believe it will happen eventually, maybe not 5 years but.........

Its funny enough that I, just today, got an offer to switch suppliers with a free nest and $50 in prepaid cards. The cards were staggered by 12 months though, and you had to do a full 2 years to not pay a $200 fee for the nest.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Plus I don't like the wifi idea purely on a conspiratorial basis. I'm sure in 5 years I will be required by law to have one though because the govt will pass some crazy carbon cutting bill and they will tell us how comfortable we are allowed to be in our homes. See, I told you purely conspiratorial.
Great, time to get out the aluminum foil hats again.
They're already doing it in some areas, requiring the "smart switch" that is being offered as optional to most of us.
I've opted out so far, but some places don't have a choice.