What's new

New cigars announced at Habanos Festival

Skitalets

Laguito No. 2
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I don't see a thread about this in the Habanos section, forgive me if this is a repeat that I missed...

What do folks think of the new cigars announced, and the changes to the Montecristo band? LCDH Hamburg has a bunch of photos on its Facebook page, here is just one from there of the new Monte bands on the new Petit No. 2 figurado:

574896_513343778716002_575826535_n.jpg

Here is Dave Savona's coverage from Havana, plus a note about the re-launched Vegueros: http://www.cigaraficionado.com/blogs/show?id=16930

I'm excited about the new cigars, and will even try the new Vegueros. But I really don't love the new Monte band. I preferred all-white, and for some reason the new band reminds me of NC Montecristos, which is not a flattering comparison.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Not a fan at all of the new Monte bands......It looks ......um cheap and tacky.
I really want to try that new monte petite number 2! Esp in a few years.
That pardi 2007 new release sounds splendid.........

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Really excited about the Petite #2s. Love the standard #2, but it's rare that I have time to sit down and appreciate the whole thing.

D Quintero

Fumador
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
i liking the vegueros direction on shape and size.
packaging is also very bright & love the added clean lines.
digging the Mananitas the most on these.

Monte retouching the same tired brown & gold bands of old are just that.

BMack

Some say I'm a dreamer...
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I hate the new Monte band...(I agree)it looks like the stupid Dominican band.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I hate the new Monte band...(I agree)it looks like the stupid Dominican band.
This times a million. Hate them. But I am pumped for the petite 2.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2 because, you know, I love Tapatalk 2.

NickThePyro

GO COUGS!
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I love Montecristo #2s, absolutely love them. But their bands piss me off so bad! It's not that they are ugly, they are so basic and bland. When that cigar is the most faked cigar in the world they need a band to help ensure authenticity and give more certainty for buyers. Cohiba has moved in the right direction with this. Montecristo on the other hand needs to see that the extra 1 penny for a fancy band will not hurt their profits. The ability to have a more anti-counterfit band will actually allow them to sell more cigars and profit because fake bands will be more identifiable to buyers and will get them to purchase authentic. Now that my rant is over, I really want to try the tiny 2.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I love Montecristo #2s, absolutely love them. But their bands piss me off so bad! It's not that they are ugly, they are so basic and bland. When that cigar is the most faked cigar in the world they need a band to help ensure authenticity and give more certainty for buyers. Cohiba has moved in the right direction with this. Montecristo on the other hand needs to see that the extra 1 penny for a fancy band will not hurt their profits. The ability to have a more anti-counterfit band will actually allow them to sell more cigars and profit because fake bands will be more identifiable to buyers and will get them to purchase authentic. Now that my rant is over, I really want to try the tiny 2.
Wise words, and I agree. Though Commies are not well know for exhibiting wisdom.

SDShark

BoM May '14
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Have to agree, Monte #2 are one of my favorite CC. However, they could do better with the band design. Doesn't HAVE to be made of gold, c'mon man!

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Lol well it's not the most sophisticated anti dupe band but it's definitely a small step above what they were. The embossing is way more apparent and a change to the gold foil from just the white. But I too have always wondered why they haven't taken more steps/measures

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
New band sucks. Old school, even before the previous band change was way better looking.

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
New band sucks. Old school, even before the previous band change was way better looking.
Agree. The only update HSA got right was the Upmann band, but even the old one was a winner. Fakes will always be an issue - I'm not sure I would yet doubt the capabilities of those with the aspiration for a quick buck.

Rating - 100%
153   0   0
Guess I'm in the minority on this subject because I don't care what the band looks like. I don't buy a cigar for the band same way I don't route for the nfl team with the prettiest helmet. Trust your sources and smoke what you enjoy.

Skitalets

Laguito No. 2
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
It will take the good counterfeiters two seconds to change to gold over white--they've already caught up with the embossed bands, and good Monte GR fakes are even out there. I don't think that should drive design on the bands--and for the same reason I don't love the new Cohiba bands.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm with the majority who don't like the new band. I think at least going with silver instead of gold would have looked a lot better.

I do agree with Skitalets that the anti-counterfeiter measures shouldn't dictate design. I would prefer history dictated design. I think the best thing Habanos SA has done recently as far as bands go is the RA Extra band. Beautiful and it pays homage to the past.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the Lusitania's for the GR was a great pick. Beautiful cigar with great aging potential. Also excited about the Monte's.