pdonlin

aka Tumbleweed
Rating - 100%
4   0   0

Texas Cop

Cavalry Scout
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Instead of buying a coffee maker and a carafe, why not buy a thermal coffee maker? The pot will keep the coffee hot all day long (litterally....The pot that I brewed yesterday morning and did not finish was still lukewarm this morning when I dumped it out) . We bought a 10 cup thermal for the wifes mother at Wally World last year for Christmas for $40 I believe...

But I just looked at the coffee pot you have linked to...I guess that is some new-fangled high tech pot...If that is what you are interested in, I would definately go the route you said, and purchase a thermal carafe` as well!

drew

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
That looks like a nice grinder (far nicer than my cheapie Cuisinart burr grinder) but personally, I don't drink coffee out of drip makers anymore (well, not if given a choice, anyways). But if you do want a drip, I agree with Texas Cop--a thermal is less likely to ruin brewed coffee.

2¢

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
That's quite a purchase, good to see you didn't skimp on the grinder.
The kitchenaid is relatively new, but sounds pretty good for most purposes:
http://www.coffeegeek.com/reviews/grinders/kitchenaidprolinegrinder
However, for just a few dollars more you could step up to the Rancillio Rocky which will also do a fantastic job for espresso, if you ever decide to go that route.

The brewer you got is the Cadillac of drip coffee machines. It's made by Technivorm , it gets the water to 200 deg, and it's SCAA certified.
Get a thermal carafe for it and you'll be in heaven (well, drip coffee heaven anyway).
Very cool.

pdonlin

aka Tumbleweed
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
TV sells some makers that come with a thermal carafe but from what I have read most of those that come with the makers cant meet the quality of the nissan ones and it doesn't bother me to pour the coffee from one pot to another. I do have a french press and I know that the manual methods of making coffee yield the best results but in this case simplicity wins (going to put it in my office and don't want to mess with boiling water, etc).

I've done some reading on coffeegeek and it sounds like this is one hell of a maker, I'll do some further research on the grinders. I have seen the Rancillo mentioned before but remember reading complaints of being really hard to clean and needing to remove the bean guard and not store beans in the hopper to get it to function best.

I know nothing on espresso, I always assumed it was a super-concentrate coffee so when I ordered extra espresso at Starbucks I was getting a much stronger (caffeine) drink, but now I read somewhere that the process of making espresso actually destroys alot of the caffeine? Is espresso usually drank as a drink its self or does one mix it with something?

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I know nothing on espresso, I always assumed it was a super-concentrate coffee so when I ordered extra espresso at Starbucks I was getting a much stronger (caffeine) drink, but now I read somewhere that the process of making espresso actually destroys alot of the caffeine? Is espresso usually drank as a drink its self or does one mix it with something?
Espresso is definitely drunk on its own (I have one every morning), and it's also the basis for many many drinks (cappuccinos, lattes, mochas, machiatos, etc).
Espresso is a method of coffee prep, using at least 9 BARs of pressure to extract finely ground coffee for 20-25 seconds.
It's the absolute pinnacle of coffee flavor.

pdonlin

aka Tumbleweed
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hmmm I am intrigued but most espresso machines that I quickly looked at had a rather hefty price tag... might have to stick with coffee for now.

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Hmmm I am intrigued but most espresso machines that I quickly looked at had a rather hefty price tag... might have to stick with coffee for now.
It's definitely a whole new bag of worms, but the prices can be reasonable if you know what to look for.
My current espresso machine didn't cost much more than the Technivorm.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Espresso's the bomb. We have a small machine that is just great. I did hear that their was less caffiene in espresso that reg coffee. SOmething about the length of time they roast the beans.

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Is that true?
One serving of Espresso has less caffeine than one serving of drip coffee.
However, Espresso has more caffeine per volume than drip.
Espresso is often made with darker roasted coffee which does destroy some of the caffeine, but since the Espresso method extracts so much from the grounds you actually end up with more caffeine.

Think of it like hard liquor, a shot of vodka has about the same alcohol as a 12 oz beer, but 12 oz of vodka has a lot more than 12 oz of beer.

Edit: Also Espresso can be made with any bean, and any roast style. It describes a method and not a specific bean or specific roast degree.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Once I got used to dealing with my espresso machine, I put my french press away for good. My crappy little espresso machine is my DAILY coffee machine; it's really not any worse than having to deal with a drip pot.

Oh, but if you do get that drip pot you're looking at, the transfer into a thermal is an EXCELLENT idea. I don't know why I didn't think of that myself!

MithShrike

Yerba mate for life.
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Edit: Also Espresso can be made with any bean, and any roast style. It describes a method and not a specific bean or specific roast degree.
When I have espresso I normally use a very lightly roasted coffee as I do not enjoy the flavor of the darker roasts.

Ratbert

BoM Oct '07
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
I have a Technivorm Moccamaster and I absolutely love it! Mine is the Clubline model, the KB-741. I got the one in the graphite finish. Heats the water up to 200 degrees and looks damn handsome on the counter as well! For drip coffee, in my opinion it would be hard to find a better machine than the Technivorm.

I bought mine from Sweet Maria's and was very pleased with their service.

Cannot comment on the grinder, but it looks quite nice.

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
Looks like you've done your homework Patrick. From what I've heard, Technivorms are well respected and, unlike most drip makers, maintain the optimal 195 to 205 degree water temp during the brewing process.

The KitchenAid grinder has gotten pretty good press and word has it that the grind can be made fine enough for espresso machines until you get into the higher end consumer or lower end pro-sumer models.

You'll be happy with your equipment. I would agree with the suggestion of getting a thermal carafe to transfer you coffee into after you brew it. Even the best makers tend to "burn" the flavor if they have a heating element under the glass carafe.

Have you found a source for freshly roasted beans yet? :innocent: After the grinder, that is the most important aspect to great coffee.

Just a word about espresso: It is to coffee as port is to wine. It has an intense coffee flavor and can be amazing. As far as the caffeine content, it actually has less than a cup of brewed coffee. Espresso (about 1.5 oz per shot) contains approximately 30 mg of caffeine where the average cup of brewed coffee can contain as much as 300 mg. The difference is that you drink the espresso faster and the caffeine enters your system faster. Another way to look at it is that caffeine is the last compound to be extracted from coffee and it takes about 20 seconds to pull a shot of espresso and about 3 to 4 minutes to brew a pot of coffee. Just some FYI.

I’ve really found that I love espresso. Bought an Expobar Pulsar several months ago and have enjoyed a double ristretto shot each day since. My wife has taken to drinking one every morning also and is disappointed if I run out of espresso beans (I roast my own now). If you get into coffee very deep at all, espresso is considered the “darkside”.

pdonlin

aka Tumbleweed
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Thanks for the info Dan, after even more research last night I think I am going to go with the TV and KitchenAid. The KA has some bad reviews but as does any product, most of them say the quality and performance outway the minor complaints.

I did look into the Rancilio but even that has its share of complaints and costs $100 more. I guess if I ever dive into espresso it will just cost more to get started; on the plus side I will have two grinders that way :)

Currently my source has been Brian and I've been very pleased. I doubt I would have the time to get into roasting my own... actually I know I wouldnt right now.

pdonlin

aka Tumbleweed
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I finally clicked the button and ordered my Kitchenaid Pro-line, TV Moccamaster CD and a Swiss Gold filter... can't wait for them to get here!