What's new

New grinder on the way!

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
January is when I cash in my credit card rewards checks for the previous year, and this year Citibank, Amex, and Chase bought me a new grinder:

It's the Rancilio Rocky Doserless version. I'm putting my Solis Maestro out to pasture (the Girl is taking it to work for her desk), and I'm really looking forward to putting this to the test.
The Maestro was capable, but I always felt it didn't make a consistent grind for espresso.
I went with the doserless version cause I do make the occasional French Press or Moka Pot, and I didn't want to have to pull on the doser to get the right amount.
After the waiting comes the hard part: finding just the right grind setting to get me closer to Espresso Nirvana.
It's gonna take a lot of work and a lot of coffee. But I think I'm up to the task.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Congratulations. You're going to love it. I've had mine for a month or so and wouldn't give it up for anything. It really makes a difference in the quality of your coffee.

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Did you get her yet? How's she working out for you?
It's a big sucker. Not much higher than than the Solis Maestro, but it's around 22-25 pounds. Had a coupon from Aabree Coffee. That combined with free shipping and no tax, left me with plenty of credit card rewards funds for cigars.:thumbsup:
Large differences grinding the same beans at close to the same grind level ( based on shot times, assuming a consistent tamp) vs the old Solis.
It takes some time, dialing in just the right setting because it has finer controls, but so far a big improvement.
Next steps: new tamper, and replace the steam wand.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Sounds great, my friend was telling me about how long it took him to dial everything in. A lot of trial and error

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Very cool Sermed.

Due to unexpected events in our lives this year our rewards are going straight into the savings account to replace what we had to spend on our unexpected travels the past month.